Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some years ago I was asked to do a cartooning workshop for young children, 6-8 year olds. I wanted something simple but fun. We created Eggcup people, mine and theirs. I am now converted my lessons and workbooks using Xara, which give the figures a more rounded look. Here are the steps in Drawing Mr. Eggcup. (At first, we had just Mr. Eggcup and his family. Since we've gone into genealogy to find ancestors like Admiral Horation Eggcup, a pioneer Abigail Eggcup, and a Viking Erik Aggcopp.) I hope you and any children in your life will enjoy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mr.eggcup.jpg 
Views:	451 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	6064  

Some years ago I was asked to do a cartooning workshop for young children, 6-8 year olds. I wanted something simple but fun. We created Eggcup people, mine and theirs. I am now converted my lessons and workbooks using Xara, which give the figures a more rounded look. Here are the steps in Drawing Mr. Eggcup. (At first, we had just Mr. Eggcup and his family. Since we've gone into genealogy to find ancestors like Admiral Horation Eggcup, a pioneer Abigail Eggcup, and a Viking Erik Aggcopp.) I hope you and any children in your life will enjoy. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Great way to use Xara, Neil. You should enjoy next month's Xara tutorial on the XaraXone.

Does Mr. Eggcut ever wind up soft or hard boiled?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    me hoe ebb rivulets</A>

I once saw a guy on the Carol Duvall show (yes, I watch it, that's why I think I can learn this stuff) who wrote a book to teach children to draw using only geometric shapes.

I went to the book store when I first downloaded XARA because I thought maybe I could utilize some of the methods to do some XARA drawings, but I couldn't find it. (Hey, maybe I could share it with those kids who come around here from time to time).

Does anybody happen to know the name of that book?

http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/deltaplate.gif

DM, I don't know the book, but I have an article filed away somewhere on six basic shapes for drawing. I'll see if I can find it, but don't hold your breath. One of my basic principles in teaching children cartooning is to get them to see the basic shapes underlying the drawing. They draw those trying to get the correct proportion; then they build their cartoon. Too many try to begin drawing a finished drawing. Xara helps one to utilize shapes as well, but it takes awhile to get use to it. Neil

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

I found this site last summer when my husband's grandson was visiting.
    unclefred
    He uses basic shapes,(but not necessarily geometric ones) to teach kids to draw cartoons.

Judi

Neil, I should get you in business with my mom. She has Alzheimers, but her big obsession in life is with knitting egg warmers. She pumps them out by the dozens. Little knitted toques with pom-poms on top. I promise a Xara illustration in the near future...

Just so you have an idea. This is a pretty plain one, but sometimes she gets real fancy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egg.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	6.4 KB 
ID:	18715  

Good one JudiA...I have it in my bookmarks now. I will play with it very soon. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

BCDeb, ROTFLMAO... uuuhhh, why do eggs need warmers? If you can get her to make egg warmers for ostrich eggs, maybe you can donate them to the hospitals for premature babies [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/deltaplate.gif

BCDeb, nice drawing. I especially liked the toque. We have much fancier, curved eggcups here in the East. (Actually, not sure anyone uses them anymore.) Judi, the Uncle Fred site is a useful one to keep in mind. Thanks. (We've been at the shore for a few days, now I have to get caught up on Xara forums. They move on relentlessly!)