Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

OK, so after procrastinating for a week about this, almost final, step to the compleation of 'Mom's Angel' I got busy and created a feather.

I need some input on it. Keeping in mind that they have to stack with a natural form. BUT they must have an etherial look to them.

How to make an object like this more etherial looking?? Is this the right shape for this type of feather?? I'm fairly happy with the blue tones themselves. BUT after taking a bitmap copy of it and overlaying it onto the wing, it's not really as I would like it. Maybe remove the gray undertone?? The lines widths are all present and changed to a light blue to give it more of a glow and I don't think it would be good idea to try to add any feathering to them or I may loose minute detail that needs to be there. Remember it's going to be printed out smaller than I would like, but my Mom wants a smallish picture, so the detail has to show even small. It's current size (the angel herself) is H/1152 px X W/792 px without the background and frame I created (XaraX [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Any way, I would appreciate comments from our animal experts (Maya....et all) here and anyone else that can maybe think along metaphysical lines.

Kinda like doing Pan (God pan, not frying pan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) you have to take a goat and a human and blend them in together. The angel wings have to look like they would lift her up but remain etherial looking.

Also I think I will be posting her in the mixed bag Gallery here at Talk Graphics when she is finished. It's all a mixture of PhotoPaint and XaraX so I don't think the piece will qualify for a Xara Gallery or PhotoPaint forum, in all fairness.

Thanks so much

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on March 12, 2002 at 16:02.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Feather.gif 
Views:	735 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	13486  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

OK, so after procrastinating for a week about this, almost final, step to the compleation of 'Mom's Angel' I got busy and created a feather.

I need some input on it. Keeping in mind that they have to stack with a natural form. BUT they must have an etherial look to them.

How to make an object like this more etherial looking?? Is this the right shape for this type of feather?? I'm fairly happy with the blue tones themselves. BUT after taking a bitmap copy of it and overlaying it onto the wing, it's not really as I would like it. Maybe remove the gray undertone?? The lines widths are all present and changed to a light blue to give it more of a glow and I don't think it would be good idea to try to add any feathering to them or I may loose minute detail that needs to be there. Remember it's going to be printed out smaller than I would like, but my Mom wants a smallish picture, so the detail has to show even small. It's current size (the angel herself) is H/1152 px X W/792 px without the background and frame I created (XaraX [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

Any way, I would appreciate comments from our animal experts (Maya....et all) here and anyone else that can maybe think along metaphysical lines.

Kinda like doing Pan (God pan, not frying pan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ) you have to take a goat and a human and blend them in together. The angel wings have to look like they would lift her up but remain etherial looking.

Also I think I will be posting her in the mixed bag Gallery here at Talk Graphics when she is finished. It's all a mixture of PhotoPaint and XaraX so I don't think the piece will qualify for a Xara Gallery or PhotoPaint forum, in all fairness.

Thanks so much

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on March 12, 2002 at 16:02.]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Here is another version

Color wise I think it's closer, but I'm just not sure about the shape or that etherial kinda look I'm after..........Sigh........
    RAMWolff

Name:	Feather_II.gif 
Views:	698 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	19774  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I think we got that RW :-)

Lovely feather by the way.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Hi RAMWolff,

I like the second feather best. The shape is more like a pheasant tail feather rather than a wing feather. Wing feathers tend to be more blunt. I have seen wing feathers in the shape you have drawn, but they have been trimmed with shears or scissors to that shape. As for making them more ethereal, maybe trying to get an irridescence would help.

Overall I like the colours you have used. I also commend you for making the "Angel" for your mother. Too many people today take their parents forgranted.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Those are both wonderful feathers RAMWolff!!! I think the "ethereal" quality lies a bit more in the second version with it's more transparent effect or lighter colors. My attachment is of real feathers (yes, crow) that show also differing feather forms--less pointed at tips, but they do vary. I just stuck these on the scanner bed and put them through some color changes--maybe they will help in your decisions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya

Name:	feathers.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	14042  
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Hi RAMWolff and all, Your feathers look great,
    I attached some fun I have had with them in the past.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Maya, I knew you would be the one to help here. Posted below is the result of that advice. Missed my workout again, but it was really worth it. I am very pleased, but please comment, OK???

Gary, the only reason I mentioned the differance between the 2 pans is that there have been quite a few new members lately and they don't know that Pan is one of my passions. So I wanted to make light of it and inform all, just in case they started to scratch their heads and begin to wonder just how strange I really am, and I'm pretty strange [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Soquili, I love my mom more than just about any one else. We had a real bad falling out years ago. I am pagan and gay, nothing a born again Baptist mom is going to be really thrilled about. Then after a while she called me and said she didn't care what the pastor told her or what the bible says, she didn't want to loose me, that I was her pride and joy, needless to say it was quite an emotional time for us both. Ever since we have been really good friends and a real Mom and Son again. It's really nice. Her birthday is in May so I gotta get this done for her!! Deadline!!! I never thought I would be passionate about doing an angel painting in ANY medium. but at her request and the help and advice from all you wonderful people, it has been pure joy for me to do this for her.

And that also includes Mike Bailey that is here as well as moderator over in the PhotoPaint forum. He helped me understand how to do a few things in that program that I was banging my head against the wall over.

MIKE: Thanks for all the help!! I am a real fan of your work, so getting to see a few other examples is a real treat!! Thanks!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Maya, as always, thanks so much for all your help. You are a dream. And unlike your belief that your are NOT an angel, you ARE dear. You just are not aware of it yet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

So let me know what you think of this mini work of art.

Name:	Angel_Feather_Fini.gif 
Views:	592 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	3681  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

RAMWolff you got it!!!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] It's PERFECT--the color, the irridescence--it is "ethereal"!!!! I'm glad anything I added was of help. I know your mom will be stunned with the beauty you have created! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I know the project is a personal one just for your mom, but I'd love to see it too, if you ever decide to post it here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] . The only angel I have done was a full door-sized painting on heavy art paper--she holds a lamb, and by her feet is the lion. I painted it with wing feathers similar in color to what you have on this design now, and used irridescent paints ("interference" and "pearlized" acrylics, and some gold metallic also)...it was meant simply as a Christmas decoration, and garland was strung around the edges. I still have it rolled up in a big tube.

I used to have a book of poetry with a poem about "Pan"---first line going something like,"Oh great God of little beasts with shining eyes...", and another one within the book which began,
    "I am pagan, so are you,
    we are pagan through and through." You might have enjoyed those...

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Thanks for your kind words and thoughts too.
    ---As The Crow Flies---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Quote: I used to have a book of poetry with a poem about "Pan"---first line going something like,"Oh great God of little beasts with shining eyes...", and another one within the book which began, "I am pagan, so are you, we are pagan through and through." You might have enjoyed those... Un-quote...........

Hi Maya, if you ever run into that book and think about it, if you could e-mail me those poems I would love it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Good Night........

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---