Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate clipart

Is it just me or do others *absolutely loathe* the clipart & templates bundled with MS office and other apps? Type in 'England' on the MS clipart and what do you get? Beefeaters, red buses, London bridge, Big Ben and so on. Is that how they see us?
    I also hate the templates that come with some DTP apps...whimsical calendars with puppies or insert a picture of your granny...barf! Letterheads and flyers that look like they were designed in the 80's. Photos which were obviously rejected by the photographer. The only way to be sure to be original is to design your own! [Thank you XARA X]
    The reason I say this is because of the comments made recently re. The non-pros [myself included] moving in and doing there own stuff.
    Just thought I’d vent my spleen at the amount of "different but the same" crap flying around these days.
    Any comments?

Eric [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Is it just me or do others *absolutely loathe* the clipart & templates bundled with MS office and other apps? Type in 'England' on the MS clipart and what do you get? Beefeaters, red buses, London bridge, Big Ben and so on. Is that how they see us?
    I also hate the templates that come with some DTP apps...whimsical calendars with puppies or insert a picture of your granny...barf! Letterheads and flyers that look like they were designed in the 80's. Photos which were obviously rejected by the photographer. The only way to be sure to be original is to design your own! [Thank you XARA X]
    The reason I say this is because of the comments made recently re. The non-pros [myself included] moving in and doing there own stuff.
    Just thought I’d vent my spleen at the amount of "different but the same" crap flying around these days.
    Any comments?

Eric [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Well Eric
    I certainly don't want to stereotype England. But you do have beefeaters and red busses and Big Ben do you not ? Are those not famous symbols of the country? I know you don't have the London Bridge anymore because that is here in Arizona. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

The quality of clip art in the main is rock bottom and cartoony. Most of this clip art is given "free" in word processor/desk top publishing etc. programs and is just bloat ware.

Bruce...Don't tell the half a million commuters that cross London Bridge each day that it's not there any more, you'll cause a major disaster. It's just that we sold you the old one;-)

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I actually have a piece of the old London Bridge here in Nova Scotia. I just did a quick look and couldn't find it. When I locate it I will scan it in and show all. That rich guy from Arizona didn't take home the whole thing.

Speaking of relocated landmarks, it is a little known fact that the city of Montreal actually had negotiations in the 1970's to purchase the Eiffel Tower to move it to Montreal.

Regards, Ross

PS - Does Canadian clipart look like canoes, igloos, mounties, snow shoes??

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Have you tried Hemera's Photo-Objects? Hemera

The version I have has 50,000 scalable images, including two red buses. They are not cartoons. Sorry, no Big Ben or London Bridge.

Did you ever see National Lampoon's European Vacation? My favorite part is when they are driving around in a circle in front of Big Ben and Parliament.

I'll have to agree, I hate going to resteraunts and seeing "clipart" on their menus that I have seen before in Publisher, very unprofessional!

And on the subject of stereotypes, anyone ever seen "Canadian Bacon". A stupid (but funny!) comedy about America going to war with Canada. It definentally has many-a-canadian-stereotype in it, I'd recommend it to all!

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

i like it when Chevy chase reverses his car into stonehenge and all the pillars fall down like dominoes...priceless!

Canadians. whats your best [and worst] uk tv?

Brits. does anyone remember the name of the canadian comedian who was on Clarkson about a year ago?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

When I was a young teenage boy I used to like to watch Benny Hill. Haven't seen it in years but suspect I'd still find it funny (or funnier).

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

My mom is a big fan of British television. She watches Coronation Street, Heartbeat, All Creatures Big and Small, Poirot, Murder She Wrote and a couple of lawyer shows that haven't aired recently - Cavannah and oh - what was that other one called? Rumpold? We get a lot of GOOD educational programs like the one called "Life of Birds" that David Attenborough produced. Most of it airs on CBC, so I'm pretty sure the USA isn't getting it.

Ross said:
    "PS - Does Canadian clipart look like canoes, igloos, mounties, snow shoes??"

Don't forget beavers and maple leaves.