Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: cmd32.exe

Hi - I know it's not **that** relevant to Xara (it irritates me, too, but I don't know who else to ask... please help me) -

I recently insalled QuickTimePro 6 onmy machine (Win XP) and ever since, when I log in, I'm reliably informed that cmd32.exe is not a valid Win32 application. Can anyone help?

For some reason, inthe system32 folder, the exe in question has a WinRar self extract icon.

Im floored.

Thanks,

Tobyboy.

Hi - I know it's not **that** relevant to Xara (it irritates me, too, but I don't know who else to ask... please help me) -

I recently insalled QuickTimePro 6 onmy machine (Win XP) and ever since, when I log in, I'm reliably informed that cmd32.exe is not a valid Win32 application. Can anyone help?

For some reason, inthe system32 folder, the exe in question has a WinRar self extract icon.

Im floored.

Thanks,

Tobyboy.

Could be a virus http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Have a look at
    this

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

I had a look and I seem to have a few of the syptoms (those in the registry are there, as was the cmd32.exe in the system32 folder). However, the User32 and UserTemp folders hadn't been created.

I tried running InnoculateIT, but the "Not a Valis Win 32 app" error came up. Tried installing the BitDefender - same thing (maybe a bad download). Also, QuickTime and MediaPlayer won't load.

Any ideas?

Tobyboy.

You're welcome http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hmm... I think the virus is infecting any new files you install or access. Make sure the antivirus program is on read only media when you install it too.

It would be worthwhile trying to install your virus killer in windows safe mode - hopefully it should prevent the virus code running so that you can get the antivirus software in to do its job. Bear in mind that if you are using an infected machine to download antivirus utilities, it may infect them before you get a change to install it! The only way left would be to either get an off-the-shelf product or download the installation files on another clean machine.

Be careful not to take media from the infected machine to the uninfected one until you are sure the virus has gone!!

Here's a link to a useful utility that deals with specific viruses but I don't think it covers your particular virus. However, you may have several viruses on your machine and getting rid of any that stinger detects would be a very good start.

Hope that helps you.

--
    Graeme
    Graeme