Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I've created a logo on paint shop pro by freehand, starting on a blank canvass. The image is pretty simply black and white, however however i llok at it, it's too "blocky".
    So my answer was to look at the font that I want to use (comic sans) alongside the answer and zoom in, and follow what windows has done. They've basically "rounded" the image by adding shading to the image. But when I print it, it's still "blocky". I've spent hours on it, and it now looks OK but the shading is still visible on print outs. I eventually want to use it from the van signs right through to stationary and want to keep the roundedness that I've managed to achieve on screen.
    So my question is this; when I go to, say, the sticker maker for the van, when they blow it up will they basically be able to see my pixels of shading on the end print of the sticker?

Is there any other way round this withot resorting to being charged a large amount of money by a design team? On van sitckers/ logo's the result is normally smooth, will I be able to achieve that by simply using a better printer?

Help me please, please, please!! I'll give you my Mrs to keep...hell, I'll do it anyway!!

Cheers to all those that do post.
    IP

I've created a logo on paint shop pro by freehand, starting on a blank canvass. The image is pretty simply black and white, however however i llok at it, it's too "blocky".
    So my answer was to look at the font that I want to use (comic sans) alongside the answer and zoom in, and follow what windows has done. They've basically "rounded" the image by adding shading to the image. But when I print it, it's still "blocky". I've spent hours on it, and it now looks OK but the shading is still visible on print outs. I eventually want to use it from the van signs right through to stationary and want to keep the roundedness that I've managed to achieve on screen.
    So my question is this; when I go to, say, the sticker maker for the van, when they blow it up will they basically be able to see my pixels of shading on the end print of the sticker?

Is there any other way round this withot resorting to being charged a large amount of money by a design team? On van sitckers/ logo's the result is normally smooth, will I be able to achieve that by simply using a better printer?

Help me please, please, please!! I'll give you my Mrs to keep...hell, I'll do it anyway!!

Cheers to all those that do post.
    IP

I've never taken anything to a printer to have made, but I did make a graphic once for a customer that wanted to have things printed of it....after several trys and different formats, resolution, etc. the printer finally emailed me and told me they need the grapic to be at least 600 dpi (or maybe it was ppi) and I sent it as both a bitmap and a psd file. So anyway, the only help I can give you is to make sure your resolution is at the very highest possible. Espcecially if they are going to have to enlarge the graphic.
    Have a good one,
    Carolyn http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

<center>http://www.carolynsbarrett.com/Blink...oBeanLogo3.gif</center>
    IP

PaintShopPro can do both bitmap and vector graphics. You are right if you enlarge your drawing done with your normal painting tools, it will be all "blocky" or pixelated. You can either redraw as Caroline suggested making a much larger image or you can do it as vector graphics. The vector drawing tools must be used for vector graphics, but you must also enlarge your canvas to a size close to what is the output at the printer, you you still will have blothchiness. The printer probably has Adobe Illustrator or Corel Draw and can resize vectors in these formats. They will most likely not be using PaintShopPro. PSP's tools are not the same for vector graphics like either Adobe Illustrator or Xara X. PSP also tends to slow way down when working on pages larger than 8.5" x 11" even if you have a gig of RAM (like me). You have really a trade off because your time is money too. But the proper tools for the job will save you time. Xara X is not hard to learn and you can download it for free. It is not a painting program and you may not find it works much like PSP. Ulead's PhotoImpact has both vector and bitmap editing, but can handle really large page sizes more easily but it is not that easy to learn unless you have time to do a lot of tutorials. Printers generally want an image to be a .tiff which all of these programs can do. PhotoImpact is also available for download for a free trial.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP