Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am trying to convert a Visio diagram to Xara, using the previously suggested ".wmf" format.

I am able to do a "save as .wmf" in Visio, but when I try and open it as a type ".wmf" file in Xara I get the following messaage:

"An error was detected in the metafile. The import has been aborted".

Any ideas? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I am trying to convert a Visio diagram to Xara, using the previously suggested ".wmf" format.

I am able to do a "save as .wmf" in Visio, but when I try and open it as a type ".wmf" file in Xara I get the following messaage:

"An error was detected in the metafile. The import has been aborted".

Any ideas? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

What other formats does Visio export to?
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Robin,

Worked OK for me. I created the "chart" in Visio 200 and saved as WMF. Then, in Xara X, I imported it specifying a file type of WMF. The import did warn me that some elements wouldn't import -- but they all did. The gradient fills and drop shadows, and one text edit, were performed in Xara X.

Al Kolka
    alkolka@attbi.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Visio2XaraX.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	11228  

Try simplifying your artwork until it works. Maybe try a few simple shapes first.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Just select all in Visio and Paste into XaraX. Ungroup to edit it.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Simon

I had partial success by doing what you suggested. For everyones information, the diagram is an extremely complex systems flowchart.

1) Selected all in Visio and copied to clipboard.

2) Pasted into Xara selecting "Windows Metafile" format.

3) The same error message appeared. However, the diagram does appear albeit massive compared with the editable Xara page area.

4) Re-sized the diagram to fit onto the editable Xara page area.

5) The diagram appears to be 80% intact.

Robin.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I don't use visio but sometimes use .wmf's imported from autocad. My limited experience with wmf's suggests adjusting xara's "set view quality" slider full left. Doing so should allow you to see if all 100% of the elements are there. I've found that sometimes elements may appear missing but that they are there. It can be that they have practically no line weight etc. When I import wmf's from autocad, I usually select all and assign a new line weight to all lines and apply a single colour. I also try to avoid importing any text from autocad because it can come in as thousands of object which slows xara's usually fast screen redraws to a crawl.

Hope there is something in these observations that could be of value to you.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross

Following your suggestions, I have now got it to work by doing the following:

1) Remove all text from Visio diagram.
    2) Set Xara view quality slider to extreme left.
    3) Copy from Visio and paste into Xara.
    4) Set Xara view quality slider back to extreme right.

The diagram is now in Xara in all it's multicolour glory. The only thing I need to do now is add the text. I will almost certainly get better results by retyping it in Xara anyway. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Robin,

I don't have Visio, so I can't do a test.

In Visio, do you have different text justification options? If so, would setting the text to Left Justified make any difference when exporting to WMF?

The reason I ask is that most of the importing I've done with the Xara causes all text to be changed to "frame" text and left-justification. If the text was centered- or right-justified it can be way out of the Xara window. You can see the square "handle" for the text frame but the text characters are out of sight.