Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi Ross and Ivan,

Ross: I noticed and LIKED your Piping Plovers over in the XaraGallery and I also
    Ivan: I LIKED and made use of the flower designs that you turned me on to in my older post of: "Something else I would love to learn how to do" I wanted to bring that one back up.

I noticed that when I ungrouped those flowers that once I removed the solid black background that there were these cut out pieces that formed the flowers petals. From the birds in Ross' piece they look like they are also smaller pieces grouped together. The shadow seemed to give me a clue.

How did you guys do that??? Can one of you do a mini tutorial on how to achieve this effect?? Curious minds want to know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Thanks so much

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Ross and Ivan,

Ross: I noticed and LIKED your Piping Plovers over in the XaraGallery and I also
    Ivan: I LIKED and made use of the flower designs that you turned me on to in my older post of: "Something else I would love to learn how to do" I wanted to bring that one back up.

I noticed that when I ungrouped those flowers that once I removed the solid black background that there were these cut out pieces that formed the flowers petals. From the birds in Ross' piece they look like they are also smaller pieces grouped together. The shadow seemed to give me a clue.

How did you guys do that??? Can one of you do a mini tutorial on how to achieve this effect?? Curious minds want to know [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Thanks so much

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

this might help clarify. When I import my sketches they remain as single-object bitmaps. The look of multiple objects on the Plovers image likely comes from the application of a shadow to the bitmap which has been assiigned stained-glass transparency. The attached example tries to highlight what happens when a shadow is applied.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	puffin.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	528  

Here it is:

- 1 draw a flower with simple lines and group these lines ;
    - 2 increase the line width untill the gaps between them are closed ;
    - 3 convert line to shapes ;
    - 4 break shapes ;
    - 5 select the surrounding shape (which is above the others) and cut it (Ctrl+X) ;
    - 6 select all the otther shapes and apply a white fill to them ;
    - 7 "paste at the same place" the surrounding shape you have cutted, move it to back and group the whole ;
    - 8 hold down Ctrl+Shift to select several shapes inside the group and apply colors.

Hope I can help !

Kindly,
    iva
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowers.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	8172  

Got both of you busy men to answer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks bunches!!!!

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---