Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WebXealot #35 is posted. Sorry to be a day late, there was a lot of material to cover. The whole second half of the Glossary N-Z. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

This is the final chapter in the Xara X On-line manual and so now I am faced with the question of whether or not to continue the WebXealot and if so, where do we go from here.

One thought I had is perhaps to do a kind of workbook approach with a few simple step-by-step tutorials that deal more with a single technique, such as the multiple envelopes used for the flag tutorial or the flare technique used in this month's tutorial. Excercies rather than full-blown tutorials.

Any thoughts or comments?

Also as a reminder:

March Xara X Tutorial

Steve Newport - Featured Xara Artist

Tony Roberts' Perspective Guest Tutorial

And all the rest of the XaraXone

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

WebXealot #35 is posted. Sorry to be a day late, there was a lot of material to cover. The whole second half of the Glossary N-Z. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

This is the final chapter in the Xara X On-line manual and so now I am faced with the question of whether or not to continue the WebXealot and if so, where do we go from here.

One thought I had is perhaps to do a kind of workbook approach with a few simple step-by-step tutorials that deal more with a single technique, such as the multiple envelopes used for the flag tutorial or the flare technique used in this month's tutorial. Excercies rather than full-blown tutorials.

Any thoughts or comments?

Also as a reminder:

March Xara X Tutorial

Steve Newport - Featured Xara Artist

Tony Roberts' Perspective Guest Tutorial

And all the rest of the XaraXone

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

the "workbook" approach would work for me (darn near anything would help in my case [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )!

---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

&nbsp
    Simple exercises to illustrate each concept or procedure works better for me than following 84 steps I don't understand. I feel it's better to understand each step before going on to something else.

As a newbie, I am more likely to retain something, if it is simple, and I can apply it to several different images right away.

For those who are more experienced, I imagine tutorials would work best, because you already know much of what is being described.

I would like to see some workbook-type exercises, so that I can gain some basic skills.

My 2 cents.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Gary,
    The Manual has been a God-Send. I printed off and treasure the early chapters (nine) and I continually need refreshers. The workbook approach sounds like a good idea. Maybe each issue could have assignments at different levels: beginners, intermediate and advanced. Maybe one for children. Just tossing out ideas.
    Keep up the good work, Neil

and end the Xeaalot. Perhaps tutorials bi-monthly now.
    Maybe a more complex project broken into segments, something like your timepiece posted on GraphicsNews. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    The newer people here will be up to speed in no time, and by the looks of their work, they don't have far to go.
    No matter what you decide, thanks for all your effort to date.
    Mike
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

This has a great deal of appeal to me.

Things like the finer points of creating "textures"/surfacing rendering or the nuances of using transparencies are two that come to mind.

Also, perhaps take some of the strengths and weaknesses of the work you've seen posted in this forum and the Xara Gallery forum as a source for Workbooks.

[This message was edited by John S. Clements on March 16, 2002 at 17:31.]

Gary how do you find the time to do all the many things you do. I get worn out just comtemplating everything you do ;-)

I anxiously await the announcement of when the CDs will be available.

Thanks for all you do.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If you compile enough of these mini-tutorials and it gets enough attention, maybe that could turn in a 3rd CD.

While we are all spoiled with helping each other here in the forums, it would be nice to have a printable, well laid out "how to" on some of these more complicated techniques broken down into smaller how-to's that maybe lead to a full finished project.

Envelopes are something that I think need more attention for us all to understand, the freehand tool and the shape editor tool, I think, maybe needs some hands on how-to's for us all to explore. All the tools do. You have explained how each tool works and what it does and all that in the 'Zealot, but to really elaborate on each on in how-to mini-tutorials would really give us (newbies and experts alike) further insight on what these tools do and how to work with them better. Plus we all seem to be learning stuff that even the experts were not fully aware that this program can do. Those techniques should also be brought to the forefront and given attention. Like the wrinkled paper thing you just did a few day's ago. A newbie is not going to know how you did that, heck I didn't untill you explained it, and for once I was able to understand without little pictures [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] .

No, I don't think your work is finished but if you say it is, then it is, but is ever really???

your call, Gary.

RAMwolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

How about telling us what the workbook will be about at the beginning of the month - we could then develop our own ideas and compare them to your approach when the Xealot is published. I'm sure this will then lead on to more discussions on different ways to do the same thing.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365