Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Bullpoopie

FIX THE BUGS! Where is the patch? I am tired of having pages work fine on my desktop only to go to heck after FTPing them to my server! Navbars that work fine when I test them in IE disappear after FTP!

Bullpoopie

This has become very old.

No one here works on Webstyle, so shouting about accomplishes nothing.

I would imagine (but can't say without knowing more) that if your NavBars are disappearing, that you're probably not uploading the directory structure exactly the same as on your hard disk.

--------
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

either as Antony says or you are not setting the graphics folder during the save process causing the html script elements to be looking for the javascript files in a location that is not uploaded to your web server.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...6&m=6821908596

"No one here works on Webstyle" if so, then this:HERE is mis-leading

Point being of my problem, if it works on my desktop before FTP, it should work on the site after FTP. Yes all files are in the right place. Another problem, 2 pictures in the photo gallery of one of the pages showed up as the dreaded red X's. Now, if all the other pic show up and the page shows fine, why would these 2 pics show wrong? Seems webstyle changed the names after FTPing to the sever. That is most certainly a problem with Webstyle.

Oh ya, then there was this problem HERE which I since have fixed too.

These problems ALL happen AFTER uploading to server.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments, will look into your suggestions.

Site is up and running now. Feel free to comment. www.remodeling-innovations.com

EDIT:
    Just looked at the URL you posted and I have never seen that "graphics folder" thingy on the side of my window when saving.

Another note, ever ran your Webstyle created pages through a validator? I got 50 errors on just my home page alone. http://validator.w3.org/

[This message was edited by prov1 on March 15, 2004 at 15:01.]

prov1, what I meant was that no developers come to this forum. Xara Support has posted information in the past, but I was just trying to say that if you want to make a specific point to Xara it is best to email direct. That way it will be read.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>if it works on my desktop before FTP, it should work on the site after FTP<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't necessarily the case, it's all relative (quite literally). That other TalkGraphics page seems to explain it well. when you click 'save graphic' when saving your NavBar, the graphics folder should just be on the right hand side of the save window.

If it's not, post again and if you could please take a screenshot of the save dialog with the absent options that'd be helpful (along with OS etc.)

In terms of the validation... this is one of those tricky subjects. The thing is, browsers work every differently (even though they shouldn't). We put extensive time into making pages work in IE, Netscape and Opera (and testing other browsers too). In fact daily work still goes on, tinkering with the pages design to ensure they work in all browsers best.

The thing is, as any web designer will tell you (including me, I've been designing pages for six years), what is technically correct, and what you have to do to get a page to work, are not the same thing. Did you know that tables aren't even meant to be used for design? Just imagine pages without tables. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif Yet of course it's done, because designers made do.

In a similar way, things are coded in certain ways to make sure the appear properly, and not necessarily what's correct. Some tags that the validator picks up on are IE-specific, meaning they do work in IE but aren't considered "standard" so are flagged up.

So if the page works okay, I wouldn't worry too much. Web standards are solidifying around the XHTML standards, but really most people are still using good old fashioned "it uses tables, it works" to ensure optimal compatability.

Incidentally, you can remove many warnings on your page by removing the quote marks that it flags up as being non-standard characters.

I hope this info has helped... and if you just want to let us know about the save graphics folder potential problem maybe we can get that sorted.

--------

AnthonyF, thanks for the reply. And yes I do agree with most of what you said.

As for the graphics folder probem. When I hit save THIS comes up. When I hit save graphic, THIScomes up. Hope that helps.

How very odd.

You seem to have some sort of skin on your system. I wonder if this could be affecting it.

Would you mind going back to Windows basic interface, restarting Webstyle and taking a look then?

--------

[This message was edited by AntonyF on March 19, 2004 at 3:30.]

Ya, just put window blinds on not to long ago, it doesn't effect it, noticed same thing before.

See HERE and HERE

Hi,
    maybe that i'm not right. Should be that you are running your local webserver/machine on windows and your internet server (where you upload files via ftp) is running on linux - some files/folders can have BiG LeTTeRs and your ftp client can be se to change everything to lowercase. In this case linux cannot find the specified path/file and it should be a reason for disapearing menu. But it only my tip for you http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif So don't be angry if it not right way to solve http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif))

Kether of Darksun

Not a bad thought Kether, only I uploaded about 10 folders for that page and most had uppercase letters also, so, if it worked for them, why not all?

Thanks for the idea though.