Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I executed my designs according to the input received. But as you know this can sometimes be a case of what I thought I heard and I thought I said... That kind of thing.

In normal circumstances I keep the first half payment in cases where the client is not satisfied with the creative output for exactly the reasons you outlined.

But in this case the client was a friend, and so the money is being returned.

Moral: Never work for friends [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

At least she was a friend - and hopefully will continue to be. Returning her money could save that friendship. As a friend, you might still get referal business coming from her direction. (She'll tell her deadbeat friends how nice you were to charge her nothing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] --- Oops! Does that sound like I'm calling you a deadbeat?? Of course I'd never do that. And I'm sure your mutual friends probably aren't deadbeats either! -- How can I get myself out of this mess?) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

even though I haven't been in the design business 1/10th as long as you have, I have been in business management and the stock market (broker) for quite a few years and I have to say, on one hand you are right "Don't do business with friends". Most of the time it does not work out. However, there are those times that your friends really want to give you the business. I have always started up front with the basic disclaimer to them...we are friends, but this is business. I am going to treat you as I would any other client, fees, deadlines, etc. Most people will understand this and consent to it, and those that don't then you refuse. I know it sounds cold, but I even have them sign the same disclosures and contracts and work outline that a client would. In today's world, if it isn't in writing it isn't worth s***. You guys probably know all of this already, but it is the putting it into practice that makes it work and situations like this minimal.

Personally, Gary, I liked all of your designs. You have been an inspiration to me in a good many of my own projects.

Chris