Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Victory

Victory is a revamped version of Decay.

Decay was cluttered and the message was lost because of that. Victory is a simplified image but tells an entirely different story than Decay did.

Very best,
    Ron

Ron Pfister
    http://www.imaginationmagic.com

[This message was edited by Ron Pfister on March 13, 2003 at 10:12.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Victory03.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	20132  

Victory is a revamped version of Decay.

Decay was cluttered and the message was lost because of that. Victory is a simplified image but tells an entirely different story than Decay did.

Very best,
    Ron

Ron Pfister

[This message was edited by Ron Pfister on March 13, 2003 at 10:12.]

Hiya, Ron---

Very compelling imagery, as usual.

I can't figure out whether this is 100% modeling work, or whether you passed the rendering through a Photoshop filter or something. How'd you get all them tiny tiles on the victorious guy?

Curoius minds want to know,
    -g-
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Looks way cool there Ron [thumbs up]

Hey Gare,

Victory was rendered the way that you see it using Cinema4DXL, including the glow effect , the burning cable and the "sun burst". Photoshop was used to help create some of the textures and to lighten the image a bit because most of the viewers of the image will be Windows users. The difference in gamma between Mac and Windows can be a problem when trying to present the best looking product. And the majority of internet users are using Windows machines.

Now the character himself. He was built in Cinema4DXL more than a year ago, then shoved into the closet. I suddenly had no use for him until this fall. In Victoy once the character was posed, got the hands to wrap around the sword, skull etc., he was duplicated. The first version was to be the metal wire-frame, the second was going to give the "tiled" look. In order to depict a metal frame I used a plugin by Paul Everett called ToWire ( http://www.bookwoodarts.de/pe/ ) To keep the character from looking like a sieve, as he did in my last post "Decay" I'd left the HyperNurbs deactivated. This gave our hero a larger, more rugged looking frame. Adding a rusted metal texture brought this to life.

The second version of the character was given a concrete texture that was modified by adding a star field (Cinema texture option) to the alpha channel. To give the missing tile look, I began to eliminate individual polygons, literally tearing holes into the arms, legs and torso. Test renders were done until I was happy with the balance between metal frame and missing tiles. Again HyperNurbs was deactivated for the second version of the model in order to keep the tiles and texture jagged looking.

Hmmmmm...I think that about covers the basics.

Very best to you all,
    Ron

Ron Pfister

Whew! Heavy man.

2cool.

That looks really great Ron!

I like this one. Considering what the world is expereriencing right now it's a scary vision of what may be, VERY scary indeed!!

Stunning work!!

Sorry for the depressing note!

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

RAMWolff

I wouldn't worry too much about the depressing note. Victory has been well received almost everywhere it's been posted, but it's "message" is quite sobering at a time when troops have been deployed in the middle east. Most people take it as it is, another piece of artwork, and some are very uncertain about the piece...maybe uncomfortable is a better word. It all depends I suppose on the interpretation by the viewer.

Very best to all,
    Ron

Ron Pfister