Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have been asked to set up templates for 'smocking' and it is essential that the graph lines for each pattern is accurate. Has anyone found an easy way of setting up this sort of grid. There is a shareware graph paper prog on the internet, but I cannot get it to copy and paste to Xara. Xara reports that there is an error in the .wmf format. After setting up each grid the individual design for stitching would then be overlaid.

I have been asked to set up templates for 'smocking' and it is essential that the graph lines for each pattern is accurate. Has anyone found an easy way of setting up this sort of grid. There is a shareware graph paper prog on the internet, but I cannot get it to copy and paste to Xara. Xara reports that there is an error in the .wmf format. After setting up each grid the individual design for stitching would then be overlaid.

Hi
    If you wanted to set up a grid that had 1cm divisions for instance the way I would do it is to draw a vertical line aligned to 0 on the horizontal ruler, which would be set to 1cm divisions. Clone that line and nudge it to the end of the required length of the graph and blend the first line to the last and set the number of intermediate steps to the number of cm between start and finish line. The intervening vertical lines should correspond exactly to the divisions on the ruler.
    Repeat the proceedure for the horzontal divisions. If you want a square graph, clone the vertical lines and rotate 90 degrees. If you look to the top of your screen, the talkgraphics logo has a grid which would have been made just like this I imagine
    Hope this helps.
    derek

The method I use, while a bit labor intensive, works quite well.

Draw your first horizontal line at the top of the page.

Open the Page Options dialog (Utilities > Options) and in the General section, change the X Duplication distance to 0 and the Y Duplication distance to the space you want between the grid lines, let's say .25in. Add a minus in front of the distance (-.25in).

Select the horizontal line and press Ctrl D (duplicate) a number of times until you have filled the page with horizontal lines.

Next, draw a vertical line along the left side of the page.

Change the Y distance to 0 and the X distance, to use the same value, to .25in. (No minus this time).

Select the line and press Ctrl D until you have filled the page with the vertical lines.

Reset your duplication distances to their original settings and close the dialog.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duplication.gif 
Views:	686 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	17063  

Derek, Gary

Thank you very much - considering the time dif, I didn't expect a response so early.

There's an easier way:

Turn your ruler on. Let's say you want 10 columns in 10 inch. This means every column takes an inch.
    Draw a straight lines, then clone the other line to the end of your ruler (from 0 to 10). You can use guides so the object snaps to it. Then create a 9 steps blend between them (you need 10 columns that means 11 lines. You already have your two drawn lines. that leaves additional 9).
    Do the same for the horizontal lines. You can combine to shapes (Ctrl+shigt+s) and group.
    Keeping the blend gives you dynamics in case you want to scale your graph, since the lines will allign automaticaly to retein their perfect distance from each other.
    It's very simple when you get used to it..

There is an even easier way :-)

I think I posted this tip a few weeks ago, but with Rulers displayed (Ctrl L) and Snap to Objects enabled, just double click on the ruler where you want the guides to be, say every 10 spaces.

Gary

Gary
    Thats something I missed. Very useful.
    Derek

The grids have to be 100% accurate (?) and the first one is 3mm squares filling an A4 page - so except for Win getting hysterical at one stage because I was keeping the control key down longer than it liked, all worked well. At 1000 magnification the grid on screen appears perfect, am now busy populating with stitches.

Thanks for all the tips, they clearly have advantages depending on the particular job - have made a note of all. Will post a segment of the grid with pattern when done, it may be an opportunity for someone else. My colleague is teaching smocking to groups of woman to help them generate some income - a community service so your assistance is really appreciated.

I would only add one thing, create it on a separate layer, and add all the lines together to make one shape. Then you can make your smocking template a true template...