Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I should like to play a little game with you... (I hope this is the right place)
    Here is a present from Xara: it's the new version of Xara X.
    What do you like to find in?
    I desire the new Xara software whit
    multilanguage and multiplatform support;
    directly expor in PDF file;
    possibility to import DWG/DXF file.
    What do you think about and what do you like to find in the new version of Xara?
    I hope also that the new version don't lose is primary quality: it don't need excessive power at your PC and it have a beautiful speed rendering.

Regards,
    Alessandro

I have learned my english at school... unfortunely I was a bad student.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	17369  
    Alessandro (Alepacca)

I should like to play a little game with you... (I hope this is the right place)
    Here is a present from Xara: it's the new version of Xara X.
    What do you like to find in?
    I desire the new Xara software whit
    multilanguage and multiplatform support;
    directly expor in PDF file;
    possibility to import DWG/DXF file.
    What do you think about and what do you like to find in the new version of Xara?
    I hope also that the new version don't lose is primary quality: it don't need excessive power at your PC and it have a beautiful speed rendering.

Regards,
    Alessandro

I have learned my english at school... unfortunely I was a bad student.
    Alessandro (Alepacca)

For me, Xara's biggest stumbling block is the vector export options. Simple things come out ok, but try feathering and transparencies and you'll be in trouble. With poor vector export options, Xara as it is now is just a vector based bitmap image generator. Good PSD export would also be on the wish list, if they plan to keep it that way. And perhaps a more conventional layering display, to make moving things up and down different layers easier. And a more advanced alignment and object distribution panel. Also, the ability to align nodes. And how about transparency that works with the outline? Stability issues with the brushes should also be improved. I finally had Xara crash on me, when tweaking with the brushes. However the next version comes out, two things they definitely should maintain is the small size and rendering speed. This is the main thing that's drawing users to Xara.

Yes, PDF support seems to be a good one to me too. As time goes on this format is being adopted by more and more people and businesses world wide.

I'm all for more import and export filters for sure, including PSD. What I would really like to see happen with the PSD support is having the ability to export paths to Photoshop (or Photoshop compatible programs), this would come in handy for me!

I really think that scoping out DrawPlus's many vector tools a bit and developing some similar commands/tools for XaraX but the "align nodes" would be really neat too. Kinda like "select nodes", right click and have "align vertical", "align horizontal" or "align arc" would be an interesting concept to play with! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hopefully the brush issue will be resolved in the next version for sure!!

And as John stated it would be a great idea if Charles would approach some of the other language speaking folks that love XaraX and see if they could translate the help files for some free software or something, although....I thought there was a way to do this in this day and age using translation software?? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Any way, can't wait for the new version to come out!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

PDF-export:
    Download the FREE PDF writer PDF995,
    now when installed you will have PDF generation from ANY program which uses the build in
    printing facility in Windows! :-)

That is something which leads me to this remark:
    "Do what you are good at" - so Xara should focus on refining the parts of Xara which they are No. 1 at! and make it possibel for other features to be done by other applications!
    - sort of "plug-in" feature, perhaps even a step further into the "future" by allowing integration with webservices!!

If you are not aware of what webservices, take a look at other Xara features - things like the SMS-webservice they are offering today (and have done for a long time (meaning Xara ARE not novice on Webservices!!!, infact they are very quilified in that sort of upcomming technologies)).

In my words: "A webservice is any object which you want [other] people to create for you. The object has some well defined specifications which you as a vendor produce. Like when you need a chair for your kitchen, you might have some parts which you WANT ('you need it to be solid'), and other parts you will be open for the producer to define: the design, colour and so on".

Webservices inside XaraX would be like:
    "Xara need a mesh tool: We give the webservice provider the coordinates of an object, Xara which to produce the interface inside XaraX, so the webservice provider will only get the object and a set of data which should be the actual mesh to perform on the object"

Hmm.. this is getting a complicated message :-)
    I will stop for now, if someone need more explanation please ask for it :-)

Oh, and by the way I am aware of that such a soloution will have some problems comming with it - one is that webservices (normally) demand an online web-connection.. But such a problem could be solved by graying out a specific webservice-based-tool, if no online connection is present!

See you all!
    Cheers,

Sten
    "Everything has two sides"

I liked the way Nesti started his contribution, "Do what you are good at" which is integrating vector and bit map, shadows, feathering and transparencies. What it is not good at is when you try taking these examples to the printers even when people say to me export it as a tiff.

I still think that XaraX is a great piece of software for anyone working with web graphics and my wish is for it to keep its speed and lack of bloat, maybe have the ability to export PDF, and sort out the bugs that are there already.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Yea, another Senior Moment John! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif I know better than that. Open Source is open source. Contribute and know the contribution will not only help you out but others as well!! The GIMP is a prime example of that. I belong to the Yahoo group and it's VERY active. Working towards 2.01 as I type this. I think it's going to be a really wonderful program at about the 3.0 mark at this rate!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Sten, I have a question or any one else illustrated below in the attatchment. I just installed the PDF995 and it's other component "Free Converter" and I then created a simple file and exported it using the Print/PDF995 print option........

What to do to fix this?? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BandingExample.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	15570  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Richard,

I almost always print from Xara X as Bitmap or Antialiased bitmap. I've been using Pdf995 for 3 or 4 months and haven't had a problem. Files sizes of PDFs are not an issue for me so I just use the higher settings.

John

P.S. May be you are using a left-hand printer. Try putting it on the other side of you CrPU.

I've never seen that problem with PDF995 either. You shouldn't have to print as bitmap - it should work as a normal print to PDF. We'll have to look into it.

I like the idea of Web Services add-ons. Could be pretty cool - but keep in mind web services are VERY slow in the context of drawing programs. But it does make me think of some ideas for future versions.

On the subject of multi-language support - Xara X has always supported this, and it's pretty easy, with the appropriate tools. What's more we're open to anyone creating translated versions if they can - we'd be all for it. Creating foreign language versions is a large distraction for us. So I completely agree with the sentiment that we should focus on what we're good and and let others helps us create translated versions.

All the text in Xara X is stored in a separate text resource files, using the standard Windows resource mechanism. So using Microsoft Visual Studio resource editors (and possibly others) it should be possible to create translated versions of the program without our intervention or requiring us to re-compile. The Program Files folder contains at least 2 language versions already - US English and UK English. XaraXeng.dll and XaraXenu.dll are the resource files and the program uses the appropriate language file depending on the locale set for the computer. Put a French, or Russian one in there and it should work.

While it's possible that people could do this without our involvement it's probably easier if we provide the source files for the resources. And we'd be quite happy to do that for anyone who was serious about creating foreign language versions of Xara X. But understand there is a LOT of text in Xara X and even more in the Help files so this is not a small job.

Hi John, I agree with Charles. Why must I export to Bitmap?? I actually tried that and it didn't work very well either. I just tried creating a similar object in DrawPlus (Serif) with a Linear fill, Linear Transparency and a Drop Shadow and it exported beautifully. No flipping, drop shadow looks flawless, transparency is in tact, blah, blah, blah. There is something going on from within XaraX some how. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Hehehe..... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif No John, the Printer is on my right hand side! Although I am NOT print printing anyway, just doing a PDF export. You a funny man John!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---