Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Ron Pfister is a highly skilled 3d artist who participates in the 3d forum and the general gallery forums here at talkgraphics.com. I read one of his postings and found it very encouraging and well worthy of a quote. Someone had commented, in essence, that seeing Ron's art made them want to give up their own because his accomplishments were so great and their work so inferior. Here is how Ron responded:

"...If pursuing a career in the graphic design industry, or creating artistic works brings you joy, desire and a sense of satisfaction then you should continue on. The work of others should be used to learn from, to find inspiration from not as a source of discouragement. You as an individual will produce images that are unique to yourself; images that no one else will produce. This will become even more apparent as time passes and you begin to find a style and your own artistic personality. Continue to learn and to work hard at your craft."

I've found these words encouraging. I hope you will too. Thanx Ron!

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ron Pfister is a highly skilled 3d artist who participates in the 3d forum and the general gallery forums here at talkgraphics.com. I read one of his postings and found it very encouraging and well worthy of a quote. Someone had commented, in essence, that seeing Ron's art made them want to give up their own because his accomplishments were so great and their work so inferior. Here is how Ron responded:

"...If pursuing a career in the graphic design industry, or creating artistic works brings you joy, desire and a sense of satisfaction then you should continue on. The work of others should be used to learn from, to find inspiration from not as a source of discouragement. You as an individual will produce images that are unique to yourself; images that no one else will produce. This will become even more apparent as time passes and you begin to find a style and your own artistic personality. Continue to learn and to work hard at your craft."

I've found these words encouraging. I hope you will too. Thanx Ron!

Regards, Ross

But this one definitely counts! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Worthy quote indeed!!

Personally I am in that same boat from time to time. Seeing such talented people, new and old in here, like Steve and Maya and Su and so many others. I am truly inspired, but sometimes it is just an overwhelming amazement that makes you feel very inferior.

While I don't want to give up, I need to walk away and really look at my own body of work and KNOW that I too am good at my craft but my eye and my imagination are not anyone else's but my own. So how could I possibly have the same vision or that ability to achieve someone elses standards?? That would be copy cat in my book. No! I do what I do and I do it well and admire and learn from others around me. For sure [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

This is something that really makes me sad, and I cringe when I hear people compliment an image and it's creator with the remark that it makes them want to give up...it's very sad. Would it mean anything to those of you who feel that way to know that it can also work in reverse on some of us here? Here's something to think about--we're not just "artists", and no matter how "good" something turns out it doesn't make that "artist" better than anyone else here on this planet. I personally didn't paint for years while my son felt somehow he couldn't "compete" with art I did---that made me feel sad and that it wasn't worth it to do art since he just couldn't cope with it, and it turned into a jealousy within him. I just completely gave up art until he was on his own!!! Now, I'm back at it, and will not stop for anyone...and I say to all of you, it's the fact of all your uniqueness, your lives' experiences, your visions, your own creativity which makes art so wonderful--DON'T ANY OF YOU EVEN CONSIDER GIVING UP ON ART!!! You all have the gift, and I know what a shame it is to waste it. As long as you have a breath left, never stop creating, and don't compare your work or yourself to others!
    That's my 2 cents worth! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

... he is handsome too! I'm so depressed now... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Seriously, it is a great quote! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It makes me sad too when people want to give up creating things.

Inuit art always puts me in a great mood because the art really reflects who the artist is and where he/she is coming from, without any worries about technicalities.

There is always 'someone' that is technically better than you... at something... but each and one of us have unique ideas that makes it all worthwhile. Create what makes YOU happy and all the necessary pieces (whatever they might be) will slowly fall in to place.

Be the best at YOU and it will look great!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Normally my words, my isms, the "World according to Ron" draw fire but this is the first time that they have been reposted to reflect a common feeling among the artists of these forums. Thanks Ross, and to RAMWolff, for thinking they might be of value and for creating one of those rare moments for me where I am at a loss, floundering to find any way at all to say what it has meant to me this morning...

Ron

Ron Pfister
    http://www.imaginationmagic.com

with some artistic skills have experienced others who express their discouragement upon seeing our work. I suppose they are trying to provide a compliment. Unfortunately such comments can be troubling. No artist creates works to discourage others from being creative themselves. Whilst egos are certainly involved, most artists don't work to show how much better they are than others.

I think our culture's emphasis on "talent" or "God-given-ability" really complicates the appreciation of others' work for some people. I don't believe in talent. I believe in skills. Skills are pragmatic - they are totally up to each of us as to how skillful we become. There is no limits. As a result of this philosophy I can look at the more skillful work of others and see my own potential - and the potential everyone has. In contrast, perceiving superior "talent" in others leads to feelings of inadequacy and possibly resentment as the viewer's belief in God-given talent has a finality to it.

Competitive instincts sometimes negatively affect how some see others' work. A great value of a community like the talkgraphics family is how uncompetitive it is. Rather than see constant one-upmanship and resentment, we get to experience the helpfullness of so many people. Thankfully this community is populated by people who enjoy seeing others improve their skills. It is not a competitive place driven by trying to prove our individual superiority over others. Certainly the vast majority of us are here to learn from each other. It works - we do learn from one another. Thanks to all you great teachers!

Regards, Ross

As a new person to the world of digital art, I was a bit overwhelmed when I first came to TalkGraphics. I am not a great artist with paints or pencils, but I feel confident that I can produce pretty good art with traditional materials, though my drawing skills fall short at times. Starting over with new tools is humbling and makes one feel like such a rookie again! This is the feeling that gets in my way the most, that overwhelming feeling of imcompetence and not knowing "how-to". (When I certainly know how-to with traditional materials.)

What is most discouraging at times, is the long road ahead that I sometimes visualize, before I can ever achieve anything worthwhile with my new tools. And if you are self-taught as I am, you constantly wonder what "holes" you have in your education.

I find it amusing that some of the very skilled (NOT talented! I agree, Ross.) artists on this forum express such lack of confidence at trying to duplicate the posted efforts of others, or attempt a new art form, such as on the "FIRE" thread or 2D thread. And that some of the "best" artists on this forum struggle at producing images they have never tried before.
    It is both dismaying and fun!

We all have those feelings of not-knowing and feeling a bit discouraged, no matter what our skill level.

What is so great about the artist's life, is that an artist need never be bored. There is always some new challenge awaiting us all, and something new to learn. We all have the urge to meet those challenges and create new and better images, otherwise we wouldn't be striving to learn and produce new images.

It is well worth a little discouragement to have a vocation/hobby/interest that can provide unending learning, challenge and reward.

I think aspiring artists are the luckiest people in the world!

Aren't we all aspiring?

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll