Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: For RAMwolff...

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Not that this relates directly to what you've been doing with the 'pearls', I thought you might find this mini-tutorial interesting.

1 - draw a circle

2 - convert circle to an editable shape and then using the 'shape editor' tool break it at the top and bottom nodes. It will produce two half circles.

3 - draw two circles; each differently sized. Create a blend between the two circles.

4 - With both the blend and one of the semicircular lines selected, click the blend tool and attach the blend to the curve. Adjust the numbers os steps accordingly to produce a strand of graduated circles. You may find (as I did) that adjusting the position profile helps make the spacings look better.

5 - Clone the blend and flip it. Reposition it (holding down the ctrl key will constrain the movement) so that the end circles of each blend are concentrically located on the equavalent circles of the other blend. Presto! - You have a graduated strand of circles! I fancied them up a wee bit by beveling and adding a shadow.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ramwolff.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	5199  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Not that this relates directly to what you've been doing with the 'pearls', I thought you might find this mini-tutorial interesting.

1 - draw a circle

2 - convert circle to an editable shape and then using the 'shape editor' tool break it at the top and bottom nodes. It will produce two half circles.

3 - draw two circles; each differently sized. Create a blend between the two circles.

4 - With both the blend and one of the semicircular lines selected, click the blend tool and attach the blend to the curve. Adjust the numbers os steps accordingly to produce a strand of graduated circles. You may find (as I did) that adjusting the position profile helps make the spacings look better.

5 - Clone the blend and flip it. Reposition it (holding down the ctrl key will constrain the movement) so that the end circles of each blend are concentrically located on the equavalent circles of the other blend. Presto! - You have a graduated strand of circles! I fancied them up a wee bit by beveling and adding a shadow.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Ross, I like the fact that you always seem to go one step beyond the question asked...adding a little challenge to go further. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mickie

...at step 4, it almost looks like a C*rel logo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Nice tip btw!

Michael Ward
    http://www.metalandplastics.co.uk
    http://www.leighcenturions.net

I enjoyed the experience and I have a new way of getting a strand of beads, graduated eveeennnnn!!

Got a problem and I know you can supply an answer. I need an indepth tutorial on how to do part of step 1.

I could not for the life of me get that circle to break in half. I did eventually, but I can't even remember how I managed it.

I did a search and found 'how to break a line using the shape editor tool' by Wolfgang, part of the Celtic Knot post. Maybe I didn't get far enough up the search list to find one that was for cutting a circle in half. I was tired and wanted to finish this one, so I made use of what I had found.

I remember learning how to create a HALF circle, but 'filled' so I could do moon shapes and what not, but not one that had the circular shape as a line object and then cutting it in half.

I know it's probably easy. I need some sort of visual referance so I can "get it" and do it a few times so it sticks in this old brain of mine.

Don't yell at me too loud. I know I should know this by now, but I don't, I guess.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by RAMWolf44 on January 08, 2002 at 01:01.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graduated_Beads_Tutorial_by_Mr_M.gif 
Views:	254 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	8033  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---