Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: nasty xarax bug

There's some sort of funny bug in XaraX. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but it was something to do with dragging an item around the screen and then going over the bottom edge ot the Xara window. At that point the whole program vanishes from the screen as if I had closed it without saving. No error or crash report is generated. Everything simply disappears.
    This has now happened to me twice with no apparent reason why.

When I try to do it now, I can't get it to happen. Very strange.

There's some sort of funny bug in XaraX. I'm not exactly sure what I did, but it was something to do with dragging an item around the screen and then going over the bottom edge ot the Xara window. At that point the whole program vanishes from the screen as if I had closed it without saving. No error or crash report is generated. Everything simply disappears.
    This has now happened to me twice with no apparent reason why.

When I try to do it now, I can't get it to happen. Very strange.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Kind of a drag isn't it! Seriously, I haven't heard of that before. Just tried it - I can do that kind of drag without any problems.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Two nights ago and twice before. My file was lost and Xara X closed in a blink of an eye.

I had created a broad object which covered most of the page. While zoomed in, I also stretch the object further. I am guessing that object approached the distance of the page width and the margin of the spread. The object got in the way so I hurriedly grabbed the object by its edge (while still zoomed in) and pushed it off the page and out of view. The mouse may have actual traveled beyond the Xara window. Its my guess that the object was put in an area beyond the normal desktop area and that my have caused the crash.

I have not had the time to test this, perhaps others in the forum can see what they find.

I also noticed that when an object is dragged out of the xara onto the windows desktop, a file called "scrap" is created on the windows desktop. If the icon "scrap" is dragged back into the Xara window, the object is tremendously enlarged in size.

Aha! I've had the enormous scrap file too- I did find out it was a Xara file but never knew how it got there before ;-)

I have had the sudden shut-down too. I have another program where guide-lines are removed by dragging them back onto the rulers. When I forget and do the same in XaraX the program exits immediately, if the file I'm working on is fairly large and complex, and I have been working for some time. I've always been working quickly when it happened.

I permanently lost my bitmap gallery and had to uninstall and then reinstall Xara X to get it back. Although I don't recall dragging the gallery beyond the Xara window, Xara support suggested that was the cause.

"I've always been working quickly when it happened."

That's exactly what I was doing too, working quickly! Perhaps we should be sandbagging on the job instead : )

I have to agree with Robax, having experienced the "disappearing Xara" phenomenon on far too many occasions.

I can't put my finger on a definate course of action leading to the crash, however Xara does for no apparent reason simply disappear, taking any unsaved work with it.

fortunately Xara is pretty speedy at saving, which is lucky as I am in the habbit of saving work after almost every change (and never over-writing a previous save!) - just in case...

Stu.

Well, after these followups, I'd say this definitely qualifies for bug-status.

If anyone from Xara reads these things, please see what can be done about it. Not dragging out of the window and saving more often are only temporary workarounds.

Thanks for the replies ppl