Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Posters

Hi. I´ve been asked to create some posters for a customers. This is a serie of 8 posters. I use XaraX and have set up a layout for these. Each poster is 70*100 cm (total 2,80*2m). Because I have not much experience with digital print, I hope someone could give me some advice about what rosolution for the bitmap, when delivering to the printshop for digital printing. I have testet the xara-files on a big OCÉ B/W plotter, and the output was great. What resolution could be good for this size i color, when exporting the bitmap (as a collected background/layer).

Is there a safe way to embed fonts/vector logos when delivering to the printshop if they don´t have XaraX/want to install XaraX (I will try to get them hooked!). EPS with outlines?

I have used Arial Black (bordering?) - but the company wants this font. I know this could be a problem for the printshop. If they want CMYK, is it as simple as doing that in the photoeditor befor iporting to Xara, and han export to EPS?

Hope for some advicehttp://www.hesbynett.no/oystange/poster.jpg

Hi. I´ve been asked to create some posters for a customers. This is a serie of 8 posters. I use XaraX and have set up a layout for these. Each poster is 70*100 cm (total 2,80*2m). Because I have not much experience with digital print, I hope someone could give me some advice about what rosolution for the bitmap, when delivering to the printshop for digital printing. I have testet the xara-files on a big OCÉ B/W plotter, and the output was great. What resolution could be good for this size i color, when exporting the bitmap (as a collected background/layer).

Is there a safe way to embed fonts/vector logos when delivering to the printshop if they don´t have XaraX/want to install XaraX (I will try to get them hooked!). EPS with outlines?

I have used Arial Black (bordering?) - but the company wants this font. I know this could be a problem for the printshop. If they want CMYK, is it as simple as doing that in the photoeditor befor iporting to Xara, and han export to EPS?

Hope for some advicehttp://www.hesbynett.no/oystange/poster.jpg

Hi,

I work on large posters (120 cm by 240 cm) on a combination of Corel Draw 10 and XaraX. I usually try to keep the bitmap resolutions rather high and covert all vectors, text and "objects" to outlines. I take all my photos using a 3.3 megapixel Olympus Camedia camera. THis way I can get the best original image. My printer (the man, not the machine)complains that the file can get big if the bitmap is too hi res, but he is a disk miser and thinks anything over 100MB is extreme. The final output should be around 266 lpi (so around 300 dpi for bitmaps). THis would be overkill for a small poster or a letter size print, but for large posters where the images are quite large, I have found that anything less begins to look pixelated (sort of a like a badly compressed JPEG).

I convert the text and objects to curves before I export (even though the export filter asks to convert text curves), this way I can be certain that the text is OK prior to export.

I use Illustrator 7 as the last step prior to submisssion to the printer because it is a stable version of Illustrator and you know that it if it opens in 7, all newer version should handle it as well. It just allows me to verify that the eps is generated correctly and that there are no "artifacts". Xara tends to create effects that do not translate well to EPS (like some of the fills) and sometimes are not understood by the ripper if you don't check it.

I have have had positive feedback from the poster's audience doing this after it gets printed on Tyvek or Glossy.

Hope this help.

Milt
    Honduras al Mundial!

Hi Milt. Your answer is filled up with help and tips. I have used Nikon Coolpix 990 - the same picture-size as your camera, so I am glad to hear about your experience about that too. I don´t have illustrator, but have Freehand 10/Canvas 8. I think I also will try them for the last finish, but XaraX for the prework/sollection. The F10/C8 also have pdf-capabilities. Thanks again, now is it Coffee.

I`d like to tell about converting vector graphics into CMYK mode. If you create a design using bitmap and vector , lens and Power Clip in Corel Draw and then try to convert it into CMYK bitmap, you can to lose some details (see attachment). Left – I convert all objects into bitmap in RGB mode and then into CMYK. Right - convert objects into bitmap in CMYK mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	POSTER1.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	17386  

In Xara if you export file into bitmap and `Show Printer Colors` is switched you will get result mach worse (below).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	package1.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	16462  

And welcome in the forum.