Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

It should be simple but either the long hours are getting to me or I just don't know how! I have an image of a small heart (with a white background), I'm trying to change it into a transparent background so I can put it on different pages in a web site without having to make separate images for each different colored page. I am using paint shop pro to perform this action, I also have access to image composer. Please help! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

It should be simple but either the long hours are getting to me or I just don't know how! I have an image of a small heart (with a white background), I'm trying to change it into a transparent background so I can put it on different pages in a web site without having to make separate images for each different colored page. I am using paint shop pro to perform this action, I also have access to image composer. Please help! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

Nickycee, has it already been saved as a jpg or gif? If so...use the magic wand to select the white background...then hit delete. You will probably have to zoom in to erase stray pixels around the edges of the graphic.

Or..... export as a gif...and use the color selector under the mask tab to select the white background. The left side of the screen will show the graphic as is...and the right side..should show the transparent background.

If that's as clear as mud...leave another message...I'm in a rush to get to classes...but I'll check back and leave a mini tut if you need it.

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.

mate jpg extention doesn't support transparency, only GIF, so save your file in gif and also be sure that what your background is on your page if it is a blakish bg then yoour image should have a black back background and then choose the transparency as black, meaning that when u have a transparent gif, it will blend with the blackish bg of your page

Selecting the white background then hitting del! will leave you with a orange bg??

SoLiDsOuL

The trouble resulted only because of one thing, if you do not promote your background layer to a full layer, you will get a substituted color for whatever you have your background color set to in your Materials Palette. Some effects in PSP are limited to full layers and not to the background. Often if an effect is not working right, promoting to a full layer will solve the problem you are having. It is a good idea to duplicate your background layer and promote the duplicate to a full layer before you do a deletion of the image background you are eliminating. Also, if you make your selection and you want it to be more subtle when used over another color, feather your selection by about 3 to 5 pixels before you hit delete and you will be much happier with your result. The same trouble exists if you use Photoshop or PhotoImpact. You must have a transparent layer underneath to show transparency when you hit the delete key.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode