Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I'm new to this, but I think my first attempt at creating glass has turned out ok. It's not quite finished but I thought I'd post it here anyway. It took me about 4 hours using trueSpace3.1
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I'm new to this, but I think my first attempt at creating glass has turned out ok. It's not quite finished but I thought I'd post it here anyway. It took me about 4 hours using trueSpace3.1
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Not bad Frank. I did an ashtray like that myself awhile back.

Nice work Frank! Looks pretty good. I think the shadow for the ashtray may be a bit on the too dark side...no transparency on it. Makes it look like there's a hole in the table. If you lighten it up a bit and let the grains in the table show through, the realism will be more pronounced.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

T

Can't figure out how to do that. If I drop the intensity of the one and only light source it affects all the shadows of all the objects. Any clues?
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Frank,

great job for the first attempt! You might play with the refraction index - the glass looks somewhat weird. And maybe remove the reflection of the class - if this is possible in your app.

Glass ** IS ** a tricky issue, but if you keep going you'll master it soon.

See the scene below for glass effects and try to achieve the same effect. I know it requires a lot of twisting, tweaking and lightning, but the result is worth every minute you spend on transparent and translucent objects.

jens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bardolino.jpg 
Views:	584 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	18211  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Frank

You could try placing a low intensity, squared fall off, non shadow casting, local light close to the ashtray shadow to lessen it's effect.

Not sure about the effect it will have on the glass shadow though.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

Hi guys,

Thanks for the positive feedback. You're right, the shadow off the ashtray was far too dark, but I love the shadows off the glasses which almost disappear (see new attachment) if I add another light to dampen the main light.

However, I have now also learnt how to add alpha-channel textures to faces (the cider company logos on the pint mugs), so that's a plus! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I haven't worked out how to add smoke, so for now the cigarette will remain unlit! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Aaa now the glass looks really good Frank, nice job.

Shadows are better too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I have a question about what's been rendered "underneath" the ashtray Frank...?
    Did you give the wood any sort of relective properties? It looks perhaps like some sort of wierd reflection of the ashtray. I'm looking at the wood grain, just beneath the ashtray.

Oh... just noticed in your first posting...is that the base of the ashtray we're seeing? If it is, i'm wondering then why it has lost all of it's colour properties... hmmm. If the ashtray is made of 2 separate objects, make sure the reflective properties of both are set to the same amount - just something to check for. Unless of course... the base isn't supposed to have any colour...? Doh! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hi Frank!

Phew! I've been too busy this last week to post much in this forum. But in any event, your glass is coming along nicely! It is a tricky surface to simulate, and often doing it entirely realistically will cause your render times to become incredibly long. That along keeps some people away from attempting it. But, keep at it. It's getting better with every post you make! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If I get a chance (maybe on Friday) I'll go ahead and throw up my attempt.