Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK, I just ordered xara x, I believe its worth it, after nearly 2 weeks of use Ive learned many things, but I currently am running on a
    PII 300mhz 96mbs of memory, with a Gefore2, Ok Im thinking, yes you need an upgrade. So what is a good place to start out on the memory and CPU speed? Im a teenager, so I dont have money bags to spend. BUt I would want some recomendations to run this program smoothly, and dont recomend a namebrand computer (Dell Compaq etc.) THANKS!
    Rian

OK, I just ordered xara x, I believe its worth it, after nearly 2 weeks of use Ive learned many things, but I currently am running on a
    PII 300mhz 96mbs of memory, with a Gefore2, Ok Im thinking, yes you need an upgrade. So what is a good place to start out on the memory and CPU speed? Im a teenager, so I dont have money bags to spend. BUt I would want some recomendations to run this program smoothly, and dont recomend a namebrand computer (Dell Compaq etc.) THANKS!
    Rian

Hi Inabottle,

I started using XaraX on a P1 75MHz with 64MB RAM. XaraX will run well on almost any PC. If you want to upgrade, I would recommend upgrading the RAM on your current PC. The cost of 256MB is relatively low, so that is what I would recommend. If your current hard drive doesn't have enough space for 384MB paging file, you should also either free up some space, or upgrade your hard drive as well. Windows runs best when the paging file is 1.5 to 2.5 times the amount of RAM you have installed.

If you have a second hard drive you will get some improvement in operation by having your paging file located on the second drive.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

when I'm on the road I'm running Xara X on my young laptop, a 300 MHz P II with 192 megs RAM and a 6 GB hard drive (only 2 gigs free for 'stuff').

It's running smooth like silk on that machine, except for complex brushes.

If I wouldn't have my CAD monsters, I think I'd still run XX on the laptop ;-}

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Soquili said<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Windows runs best when the paging file is 1.5 to 2.5 times the amount of RAM you have installed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's a paging file?
    Judi

Hi Judi,

The paging file is also known as the swap file, or virtual memory. Windows uses it to swap information from RAM to the hard drive and vice versa.

Which version of windows are you using? I can tell you how to find the current paging size and how to change it, by knowing which version.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

I'm using Win 98SE still, I have 256m ram.

Judi

what is the best version of windows to use... Im using 2k now... but Im thinking going back to 98 or ME, dunno about XP, but how much memory?
    Rian

Hi Judi,

On Win98SE, open the Control Panel. Double click on the System icon. Click the Performance tab, then click the Virtual Memory button. You will probably see that your system is setup to have Windows manage your virtual memory. This setting is good for most users, but when windows decides to make changes it will cause any applications running to become very slow during the change.

You can click on the Let me specify my own virtual memory settings. Then, in the minimum box enter 384000; in the maximum box enter 640000. This represents 1.5 and 2.5 times 256MB of RAM. If your free space on your hard drive is not large enough for 384MB or 640MB, it would be best to leave the Let Windows manage the virtual memory selected.

Almost forgot, to see the current paging file size: Open System Information in the System Tools. This is located in your Programs menu under Accessories.

Inabottle - Win2K is the best version of Windows, in my opinion. WinXP is also good, but I haven't seen any reason to upgrade to it. When Windows 2003 Professional comes out later this year, I may upgrade to it. For RAM on Win2K, I recommend a minimum of 256MB. On my Win2K system with 256MB RAM, Windows, Norton Antivirus, etc. takes most of the RAM, leaving about 84MB available for other applications.

Soquili

[This message was edited by Soquili on May 27, 2003 at 17:07.]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I agree with Soquili on the RAM upgrade. Find out how much your motherboard will accept and stuff it full. If your have a PII, more than likely it will only support 768megs of RAM (3 slots with 256megs each). You may need to check speed and other factors to make sure it will work in your system. Kingston and Crucial both have memory configuration apps on thier websites. www.kingston.com and www.crucial.com.
    A new faster Hard drive will run but will still be slow because the motherboard has old controllers on it. You can get an add-in IDE controller for about $35 that will then allow the new 7200 RPM ATA 100 drives to run at top speed. They do make a big difference and you can always move them to a newer machine later. W2K Pro will be all you need.

Welcome to the wonderful world of XaraX.

+++"Nothing except a battle lost can be half as melancholy as a battle won."+++

The Duke of Wellington
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark