Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sorry for my English.
    I'm a completely newbie who dare to make vetor graphic with XaraX. Having spent a month with 2 books by learning Illustrator, I've found myself too dumb to get it work as i need. I turn to XaraX which I never heard this program before and finally love the way it work and result. Here is my 2nd piece of work that I do with XaraX. To make Rolex tachometer, I try blend tool but vertex of oval is not align to center point. I start doing one by one alignment along circle but it take to muck time. My problem is that is there any efficiency way to align oval shape to make tachometer.

http://eflashscript.virtualave.net/watch_draft.png

Your advice is appreciated.
    TIA
    Kasem Boonmun
    Bangkok, Thailand

Sorry for my English.
    I'm a completely newbie who dare to make vetor graphic with XaraX. Having spent a month with 2 books by learning Illustrator, I've found myself too dumb to get it work as i need. I turn to XaraX which I never heard this program before and finally love the way it work and result. Here is my 2nd piece of work that I do with XaraX. To make Rolex tachometer, I try blend tool but vertex of oval is not align to center point. I start doing one by one alignment along circle but it take to muck time. My problem is that is there any efficiency way to align oval shape to make tachometer.

http://eflashscript.virtualave.net/watch_draft.png

Your advice is appreciated.
    TIA
    Kasem Boonmun
    Bangkok, Thailand

Boo, glad to have you aboard.

How did you find out about Xara in the first place?

If I understand you correctly you want to have the oval shapes rotating about the true center of the watch's face (as viewed from above).

You can make a copy of the circular outline of the watches outside border and then trim in so that an arc remains which represents the area that the ovals will be placed. Then draw an oval, make a copy, change one of the oval's center of rotation to the center of the watch, double-click the oval and rotate it until its positioned at one end of the arc, rotate the other oval so its positioned at the other end of the arc, now blend the two ovals and using the arc as the bend-path.

If this is too hard to follow I'll try to diagram it.

Regards

Hello Kasem

Welcome to Xara and welcome to the Xara Conference.

Those two books you read on Illustrator must have helped you to know how to use Xara to do the all the things Illustrator can not do :-)

Do you want the scallopped edge (the ovals) to go all around the watch face?

I would create a blend along a curve.

Create the bezel portion of the watch by Joining two circles or ellipses.

Convert the Blend to Editable Shapes. Ungroup and delete one of the two blended ellipses (the first one will be directly over the last ellipse).

Join the ellipses into one shape.

Center the joined ellipses over the bezel.

Combine Shapes > Subtract Shapes. This is the same as Illustrator's Pathfinder Minus Front command.

Does this help?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watch.jpg 
Views:	793 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	6819  

60 point quickshape with curved corners (1), adjust peaks/valley height to desired size (2), pull outer edge (peak) to a point by grabbing the control handle that is half way between peak & valley (3), subtract a circle, & bevel.

For some reason, I could not upload my attachment. I press the "Upload Attachment" button and the filename and path disappear from the Browse dialog and nothing happens. ???? Anybody seen this?

Edit: Never mind. It must have been a problem with our proxy server on this end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quickshape.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	16821  

Ric, your approach is simply elegant!

to you Ric. That is as simple a solution as I wish I had of thought of :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg

Same here, my hat is off. Both solutions are beautifully illustrated and explained. I simply love this kind of threads. We all are producing something like a forever-growing forum-encyclopaedia of HOW TO's [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Illustrated advices are so much fun to do in Xara. I think this approach is unique only to XaraX users.

Whether I'm right or unfair(y),
    thumbs up, Ric & Gary. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I wish I would have thought, period. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]