Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

How to (and with what: corel, xarax, ?) to trace a low quality linedrawing without getting a lot of noise and unwanted nodes?
    Lots of horizontal and vertical lines, very little rounded shapes.

How to (and with what: corel, xarax, ?) to trace a low quality linedrawing without getting a lot of noise and unwanted nodes?
    Lots of horizontal and vertical lines, very little rounded shapes.

I personally often use CorelTrace 9 for for more demanding traces. If you want to trace line-art with Xara X I would recommend that you hand trace the imported bitmap (you could try the bitmap tracer in Xara X, but to get a good result you need a hi-res bitmap). I believe you can find a tutorial by Gary P. at xaraxone on tracing bitmaps.

-Paul
    Paul the Gnurfmeister!
    Home: http://www.gnurf.net/v3/ | My stuff for sale: http://www.zazzle.com/gnurf* | Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pasoderholm

Is far too unpredictable. You never know if you're going to wind up with something usable. I usually use Streamline.

I have Segmation, but I only recently found my serial number. I'm going to experiment with that filter before I trace and see if I get better results.

Sheffield Abella
    sheff@sheff.com
    www.sheff.com
    Sheff
    My Site

Hi,

I had to convert over a hundred hand illustrations (black and white line art from an old book) to electronic form. I tried everything and I was never happy with the results. There was always something like a line that did not look straight and circles that had a blip. And the text was always horrid. After all the "retouching" and fixing of beziers to get the image to look right, I decided to forgo all those apps and bang them out "by hand".

I eventually scanned the images as b&w images, imported them into Corel Draw (7 at the time), applied a red outline fill (this changed all the "black" to red in the bitmap), placed it in its own locked layer and drew lines and bezier curves over it. It got pretty good at working with odd sized images and recreating them so they were consistent (font size, line thickness, etc) to all the other illustrations in the book.

After a few, I generated a good process that allowed me to "traced" enough images to populate 3 healthy technical books.

Also, they exported very into Xara, Illsutrator, WOrd, etc., where Tracer et al. created problems due to lost line thickness setting and other conversion issues.

Not the most elegant, but this is how you get it "right". Hope it helps.

Milt