Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You are not alone!
    I have exactly the same problem. I find the custom brushes too much of a pain to use because they just don't act like normal brushes. It is not just the colour, you cant draw straight lines using the alt key either.
    Maybe xara will address this in the next version?

Huge Regards
    Dave

Home sweet home:
    Http://www.squeakypics.co.uk

Jax, I wonder if the name gallery could help. I quess it would depend on what other objects were already in the drawing. The name gallery considers the airbrush line black so if you have other black lines they would also be controlled by the black in the name gallery.

You could put the airbrushing on a different layer (with other layers locked), draw then click on the black in the name gallery, right click on the color you want your airbrush lines to be and it will change them all at once.

I hope that makes sense it is Monday morning after all...and I really have no idea if that would be a viable work around [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mickie

Thanks for your answers; you've answered what I was wondering, which was whether the behaviour of my natural brushes is how it should be!

It seems to me an odd choice to make these brushes work the way they do, which would I think be too much of a pain to work with on a regular basis, for me at least. It's no worry really; I've never airbrushed in Corel Xara... it just seemed like something that would be at the least fun and probably pretty useful.

But changing color retrospectively would make airbrushing difficult (trying to gauge how much blue to apply when it's supposed to be red) and creating new brushes all the time seems like way too much of a palaver; I'd want to have my airbrush poised and rapidly just pick a new color from the palette.

So =sigh= I guess I'll be giving the natural brushes a miss (until they sort them out in Xara XI [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

Not the end of the world. It's still fab at doing what it's always done, and like I said the Bevel tool is worth the upgrade price by itself!

Many thanks all again,

Jax

Welcome to the forum.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Not to bring up an old nit pick of mine, I totally abandoned the use of the brushes. I get exception crashes when I use some of them, taking all my work with it.

Can't create a new one, same thing happens, can't even alter one that exist, YUP, same thing happens. So if I occasionally want to add a bubble or chain or something like that I use them, other than that, I can't take the chance of having my work go down that toilet using the troublesome brushes. So I don't.

XaraX more than paid for itself with all the other things it's capable of doing, so it's OK. Maybe next version they will have all this taken care of. I even replaced my video card (Matrox Millennium G550) and NOPE, crash, crash, crash (also have 550 RAM, Pentium III/1Ghz speed) so it's XaraX bug.

By the way, I use Opera 6.0 sometimes but I prefer IE 5.5 over it and I think Netscape sucks BIG TIME!! But that is just MHO. What ever floats your boat then use it, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks you should be using. It's like someone shoving their religion down your throat, I don't dig that kinda stuff!!! When I was using Linux for awhile all anyone could do was bash Microsoft and while I do think they are a bit "evil" (for a lack of a better word) Windows gets the job done. Of course I heard that the new release of the Linux kernel may need some looking into (full USB support, improved support of audio and video cards and camera and tablet support), we shall see [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

As a newbie to Xara X, I was trying to make the brush for the glass button thread, made several brushes, and ended up crashing Xara every time I tried to edit ANY brush.

Having been trained in programming, I figured it was some incorrect Xara procedure I was doing that was not covered by an error-catching procedure in the code. See the error message below. It crashed Xara every time I tried to Edit a brush.

I deleted the brushes I created, which cleared up the problem, and re-read the Help file on creating brushes. I created a brush and saved it in the Brushes folder, WITHOUT using it on a path(line) first. I quit the application and restarted it. This brush resided in the Brushes folder, but did NOT appear in the Line Gallery, though a folder for it DID appear. It also did not appear in the brushes drop-down box of the Freehand Tool. And it prevented the Editing of any other brush, and crashed Xara every time. It is necessary to use the brush on a line, then save it.

I would like to see a bitmap brush system incorporated into Xara, but would not want the application to get bloated to do that. Bitmap brushes would require the need for "bitmap objects" to paint on, probably transparent square areas.

The current system isn't really "brushes", but placing many vector objects on a path or line.

Dale

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	12172  

Now I REALLY don't feel so alone thinking it was my system....it seems for some lucky folks they have NO problem using the brushes, editing current brushes or creating new brushes. Then there are a smaller percentile of folks that have "our problem".

I just couldn't grasp why some have this problem and some don't!! While this doesn't solve it, The explanation seems viable.

OH well, maybe next version [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] But I DO agree on the bloat issue as well.

As it stands I seem to have loaded too many plug-ins for the Bitmap stuff and that slows XaraX loading down to a snails pace, which I don't like, but I use most of those effects so it just needs to be like that.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---