Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

In the book 'Creating Killer Web Sites', there's a chapter about fonts. The author, Siegal, lists a number of "Good-Quality Fonts."

His Sans Serif list includes: Avenir, Rotis, Univers, Gill Sans, Myriad, Stone Sans, Futura, Syntax, Frutiger, OCR-B, and Copperplate.

I've looked at many different font sites and these are all so expensive. Is there a way to find a set of these without spending $1000?

What are some other "Good-Quality Fonts"?

And by the way, what is a chargeable font (one you can put on a VISA? ;-)

I'm asking this because I want to use Xara to create a few simple logos for my wife's small business...

In the book 'Creating Killer Web Sites', there's a chapter about fonts. The author, Siegal, lists a number of "Good-Quality Fonts."

His Sans Serif list includes: Avenir, Rotis, Univers, Gill Sans, Myriad, Stone Sans, Futura, Syntax, Frutiger, OCR-B, and Copperplate.

I've looked at many different font sites and these are all so expensive. Is there a way to find a set of these without spending $1000?

What are some other "Good-Quality Fonts"?

And by the way, what is a chargeable font (one you can put on a VISA? ;-)

I'm asking this because I want to use Xara to create a few simple logos for my wife's small business...

Wow, not even a view in 30 minutes. I must work on my title writing skills.

We're just waiting for Gary to answer, but he is a "morning person" so expect reply sometime tomorow.
    Lots of our "other hemisphere" friends are fontaholics also.
    While you are waiting, check out www.efuse.com
    Daniel Will-Harris is CERTAINLY opiniated concerning fonts.

Regards,,,,,, Tad .. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Time for a quick sales plug. You favorite software company also sells fonts on line. Most of the "good fonts" listed are proprietary fonts, with a price tag to match. (Gill Sans and Univers certainly come into that category.) However you can often find very similar fonts under different names. For example Eric is our version of Gill Sans. Have a look at BuyFonts.com

Mick of course is bang on. You can find excellent fonts for between $2-14 (US) on the Xara BuyFonts.com site.

I like to use Microsoft's Verdana, Georgia, Trebuchet MS, and a few others available on Microsoft Web Fonts.

Unlike the fonts that Seigal lists which are all basically print fonts, Microsoft, and otheres such as Bitstream and Adobe, have created fonts especially for use on the Web. They can be used for print as well.

Last time I checked, Microsoft was offering these fonts, and others, for free on their site. These fonts are also included and installed with Microsoft Internet Explorer and other Microsoft products and so are already installed on most peoples' computers so if you use the font face= tag in your site, and the vistor has these fonts installed on her or his computer the fonts will display as editable HTML text.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

beehive or bus melt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WebFonts.gif 
Views:	557 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	4970  

Gary, I actually like and use all of the fonts you listed. But I'd like to use some of the fonts on Seigal's list. (BTW, Are there any famous logos which use the fonts you mentioned?)

Mick, it would be nice to have a complete list which compares fonts, sort of like, name brand versus generic.

I think you'll find this site helpful in terms of comparing famous name vs. generic...

http://user.glo.be/~gd33771/aliases.html

Some of the other categories are just as fun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Wilmington, NC USA and Daejeon, South Korea

to find great, original fonts is
    Larabie Fonts.

Many are free, but you can also buy entire collections for a very small fee ( $6.99 for most).

I understand he will be retiring the site soon, as he is going into commercial font foundry work, so it might be advisable to check it out soon.

Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.
    Joelle

The sandcastles of our lives are nothing when compared to the tides of our destinies.

rgremill asked for a list of the BuyFonts.com fonts that are similar in appearance to fonts from other sources. Sorry but the big font foundries are very touchy about such lists. Both ourselves and the foundry that supplies our fonts have had a run-in with some of the big boys in the past. We want to avoid it happening in the future so no list I'm afraid.