Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poser 5 labours

This is harder than I thought.

This image took me about 1/2 hour to mould into a unique, non-caricatury looking person.

Poser 5, P4 2.5gHz, 1 gig of RAM, and yes Poser 5 needs it!

My Best,
    Gare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	geena02.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	15911  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

This is harder than I thought.

This image took me about 1/2 hour to mould into a unique, non-caricatury looking person.

Poser 5, P4 2.5gHz, 1 gig of RAM, and yes Poser 5 needs it!

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Though I'm not in modeling humans, I like it. I've seen some Russians pushing Poser characters to the limit. Awesome. However, I quit using Poser after it turned out that it didn't run with 2 gigs (error message: not enough memory). So I developed a guy and a girl in Cinema, including bones, for basic poses to illustrate dimensions of my objects - more than enough for my purposes (see pic below).

I'm waiting for the day when they will be able to produce a digital clone of my body, and if God will be generous he will give me a chance to see how they will clone my soul as well ;-}

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fashion-arc02.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	2676  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi Gary,

I upgraded from poser 4 and I'm must tell you I'm very disapointed. I use to do storyboards with Poser 4 but the some job with Poser 5 takes ages.
    Although rendering quality improved as well as character criation, the program is very slow to react even in a super machine. For the time beeing I use it just to learn the new features and nothing more. It's not a productive 3D app for somebody working with deadlines.

Emnauel Brito
    www.homographicus.com

Nice display design here Jens, as per usual

re poser... no comment

I'd be the first to tell anyone that Poser 5 is not for every designer. Certainly, for storyboard creation, it would drag your system to its knees (assuming a computer has knees).

What attracts me to Poser 5 is the humanity you can acheive with faces: nothing more and nothing less. If all you do is "body work", then Michael and Victoria and P4 is ideal.

Hey, Jens, have you read Richard Morgan's "Altered Carbon" yet? Scary stuff with souls being stored and downloaded as the need is seen: a 26th century detective novel that will feed Matrix-starved SFers until Matrix II comes out.

My Best,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

I like your design very much! Could you post a larger version, or show an expanded view of the gold woman?

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Dale,

I've a threepack for you at

http://jens.highspeedweb.net/samples/threepack.zip

532.523 bytes

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Jens, I asked about that RAM limitation you mentioned, and got this as answer:

IIRC all individual Windows applications are limited to 2GB, although you'll need an NT-based Windows (2000, XP) to even reach that limit. If you exceed, or more likely come close to, that limit then Poser will become unstable.
    OTH, the "Not RAM" message comes up whenever Poser can't find a texture, asks if it should continue searching, and you anwser "No". At that point it'll throw a wobbly and tell you there isn't enough RAM on your system. This clearly has nothing to do with RAM, and is a bogus message. One could reasonably call this a bug in any other application, but as Poser has exhibit this behaviour for years spanning at least 3 releases, one is reluctantly force to conclude that the developers designed it that way, and consider it a feature! ;-)
    Of course, no current applciation should EVER need 2GB of memory, real or virtual at one time, that's something an OS can handle, but Poser doesn't want to let it...
    The only contribution that Poser5 makes to this mess is that it uses more memory than earlier versions, so you start off from a higher start point even before you load anything into the scene.

I also got another reply that says that there is a fix for that in P4, and that P5 no problems has with 2gig of RAM.

A question: is it really true that risc processors are better?

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on April 06, 2003 at 14:52.]