Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Font advice.

Les, Please refer to this link to see the examples of the text - all in 8pt.
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/Availor/text.jpg

When making text you should consider several aspects: Who is this map for? A child or an adult?
    If this is intended for Adult, I would rather go for a more Bold/Semi Bold text, because an Adult person can recognize the letter by it's shape without the need of seeing exactly each letter. In that case you only need to play with the kerning. Do you have space to stack? If so perhaps consider a font that can accept LONG letters. Maybe you have more space to put WIDE letters.
    When a text is small the letter's line is very thin. Our mind recognizes the letters by their shape without the need of seeing the whole letter (You don't read by following every letter like you did in the first grade). Long words like "Congratulation" Should have more space, like "Congra tula tion" (wider kerning between letters).

If this is meant for children then they will have harder time reading, becuase their mind cannot recognize the letters so fast, but their sight is better so they have no trouble seeing the small font.

Maybe you can use different fonts, depending on the text. For example: the word AVAilor (AVA) - can blend, so maybe a more distinct letters should be used. You must remember that letters like "mn uvw ae il hn oqp" Might look the same when the text is small (This is called "Delta Hinting"). Perhaps you should consider typing a special Kerning Character, like a.v.a.i.l.o.r (with smaller kerning between the dots).

Anyhow, there are special fonts with exaggurated shapes, so they are more recognized (The head of "m", the leg of "p" and so on....)
    You can order a free font's catalog from a font company which also explains that matter. That's what I did.

They usually give you one font for free when you ask for the catalog, so you can pick a special font that is used for small typings. I think this is the best solution (I recieved 4 catalogs from different companies, I am sure in country like UK there will be no problem with this).

Best of luck http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

P.S. Why can't I post pictures Whereas I see other people can? What is there a photo limit per person? http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/redface.gif

"Why can't I post pictures Whereas I see other people can? What is there a photo limit per person? " - Availor

That is because we post em on another server, then use that picture as the call for the display image...

hi Les,

Have you tried using the scaling function in xara... put 96 on one side and 72 on the other. if it looks smaller, reverse it... 72 on one side and 96 on the other. Should come out just fine. Use it in flash (anudder 72 DPI wonder) all the time...

Les
    This problem is caused by the same answer I above and in your later post here.
    Also matches Johns advice.
    Hope this helps.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

My balcony overlooking Tower Bridge, London - no, I\'m poor!

Availor, thanks for all that important info and the image. I have copied it and will refer to it till its ingrained in my brain.

John, I tried that but it made no difference - I did it wrong I think, but it is the scaling that's the issue. Thanks for heading me in the right direction.

Egg, thanks. I have replied in other thread.

Les