Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know it's far too late for August, and maybe you already have plans for September, but I would appreciate a tutorial that involved the use of layers. I've never used them in XaraX.

I know it's far too late for August, and maybe you already have plans for September, but I would appreciate a tutorial that involved the use of layers. I've never used them in XaraX.

I use Adobe Photoshop for some years and I know how helpful layers can be, as a matter of fact, they are the most important thing in Photoshop. Guess I would be interested too, to see any kind of tutorial. I even wondered why layers are seldom mentioned in the tutorials.

Peter

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I use layers extensively when producing architectural renderings. For me their function is a management one. Such drawings often have many thousands of objects. I create layers for the windows, the bricks, the landscaping, the shadows etc. (Often I use 15 to 20 layers). The layer with shadows (shapes w/ transparency effects) are usually one of the top-most layers. Those shadow shapes can cover much of the underlying shapes. Without layers it would be very difficult to change things that are behind. Also in those drawings I often have layers with drawing aids - layers containing objects I have no intention of ever printing. An example could be a scanned in site plan or photo that gets traced. Having a large image on a uneditable layer means you aren't going to accidently select it or reposition it.

I often use layers on less complex drawings too. One thing I frequently do is find I want to 'crop' a drawing by masking out parts of the drawing with shapes the same colour as the page background. Drawing such shapes on their own layer keeps everything easily editable. Another use is for testing out different backgrounds. Put various background options on their own layers and then you can toggle through them to see their effects on your design.

I don't know if this is any help. The concept of layers is really quite simple and worth investigating for your work. Play with them and you'll soon see how they can help you manage your drawing elements.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Actually, I've been using layers a bit, to trace outlines of photographs and things while trying to learn how to draw, but I would really love to know what the real artists use layers for.

The Tuts are getting easier as I learn more and more about XARA. One day, I will go back and do the ones I couldn't finish and see how much easier they will be with my more in depth knowledge of XARA. Honestly, I could never even have gotten started without you guys. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

http://www.deltamoon.addr.com/deltaneon.jpg

To be honest, I have not started next month's tutorial. I have been working on a review article that is due first. I'll probably get started tomorrow. Let's say, I BETTER GET STARTED TOMORROW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll try to work layers into the tutorial. Problem is, I never think to use Layers until my image is so out of control and then it's too late.

In the meantime, you might look at WebXealot #22 in which I cover the Layers Gallery.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

beehive be vie hoe tumblers

I'm not the only one.

"...I never think to use Layers until my image is so out of control and then it's too late."

Ric

P.S. Gary, thanx for the (almost daily now) "beehive" grin.

Ross took the words right out of my mouth. I use layers very much in the same ways.

I find they are most useful for: transparencies (they can be hard to select/edit without layers), similar objects (in color, texture, or function), for drawing over the top of bitmaps (tracing in the old sense of the word), progressive disclosures (overlays of process steps), and illustrations which have a lot of text labels and leaders.

Unfortunately, sometimes I don't setup layers initially and have to go back and move things to layers ... bad planning on my part. But, its usually not a big deal and well worth the time in the long run; particularly if you believe you will have to do a lot of future modication or you plan to use your artwork for other proects.

It is always nice to see how someone using Xara to "put bread on the table" uses some of its features, very helpful.

I have missed your posts Ross have you been away?

Bob C.

I find that layers are the best way for me to organize my work/thoughts. Very easy and flexible. Makes work SO much nicer [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    ~Dave!~