Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Work has been getting in the way of my modeling, so used some time off for the 4th to work on this.

Comments and crits welcome!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wishing_well_wip.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	6988  

Work has been getting in the way of my modeling, so used some time off for the 4th to work on this.

Comments and crits welcome!

Hey that looks gr8 Randy, nice job man.

Have you ever read "Advanced 3D Photorealism Techniques -- by Bill Flemming"...?
    He instructs on texturing a pond in there. Your stones look very similar, that's what made me think of Bill's book.

Thanks Mark, I haven't read that book. The stones are some presets for Cinema4d that I have acquired. I did some slight mods to the shader though.

Great texturing work. It looks really, really nice and I look forward to see all the composition.

Emanuel Brito

Go Randy Go... Now then, if only I could hit a switch and have that well delivered into my garden

Cool

Crits - The rope looks a bit new {saturation} as opposed to the weathering of the rest of the well.

I think I saw on CG where someone mentioned the handle length.

Try and get some grime or a different color of mortar for between the bricks,you could also try some moss all over the bricks in parts maybe

How is it lit Randy?

Stu.

emel - Thanks. Though really can't take credit for the textures much, as they all came from the web.

gidgit - Thanks, yeah it would be cool to have one of these in our yard next to our Koi pond. If I can figure out how I will :::POP::: one over to you.

kiwi - Yeah the rope basically sucks. Will add some length to the handle. I have been trying to add some moss, using SLA, but I am not happy with it yet. Curious what color, and why would you change the mortar color? The lighting is real simple 2 light setup. Haven't even considered how to light it yet, I will wait till I put it into a scene before I worry about lights.

Thanks for the comments!

Hi Randy,

I like it! The new look of the rope is OK with me, having replaced a few in my younger days. The way the rope juts out from the side is a little disconcerting. May I also suggest making the central portion of the windlass larger. Most of the wells I'm familiar with had circles of wood attached to the central core on each end, between the uprights. Slats were attached at even intervals to the circles to give a larger diameter, without adding too much weight. The larger diameter allows for fewer turns of the handle to lower and raise the bucket.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Pretty cool, now I'm thirsty. Soquili is correct about the dia. of the crank, I have a pulley and a bucket in my collection of junk that came from an old well like this, the bucket has a weight on one side so it will tip and sink when it hits the water.