Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Scaling Error

Has anyone else seen this? If I reduce the size of my multi-layer image by any amount, part of it falls out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] I can increase the size with no problems.

The attached image is a composite of two screen caps of the export preview box. The (gray) shape that is missing in the downscaled version are two closed shapes (the doors) with no fill color assigned. I'm still trying to figure out what the elliptical object is. I disassembled the drawing and still haven't found it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraScaleError.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	16972  

Has anyone else seen this? If I reduce the size of my multi-layer image by any amount, part of it falls out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] I can increase the size with no problems.

The attached image is a composite of two screen caps of the export preview box. The (gray) shape that is missing in the downscaled version are two closed shapes (the doors) with no fill color assigned. I'm still trying to figure out what the elliptical object is. I disassembled the drawing and still haven't found it.

I don't think I have ever had that happen. It does not seem to be a desireable result. I wonder if perhaps your drawing is so detailed it is eating up your system resources and causing Xara to become unstable?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    me hoe ebb rivulets</a>

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I often work with multi layer documents and I just as often scale them. I can't say I've ever had objects seemingly disappear. (The only problem I have experienced relates to the occasional linear transparency that modifies itself upon printing).

Perhaps (sorry to suggest) there is some kind of corruption in your file. In years of working with Xara I have only had one file I considered corrupt. Perhaps others have input on this possibility.

You aren't saving your file to a floppy by any chance are you? I've heard it suggested that writing to floppy media is the most common source of file corruptions originating from write errors.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

numbers:
    Micron 500 MHz PIII
    256 RAM
    Adaptec SCSI 6.5 GB free
    Matrox G-400 32MB (driver update 2 months ago)
    WIN NT4.0 SP5
    Even did a reboot and only opened Xara to see if it was a corrupt cache problem or something like that. (don't forget to flush [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

I dunno guys. As you can see below, it's not really a problem as far as using the art. It's just an annoyance. Guess I will give the fellows at Xara a shout and see if they can come up with anything. (Haven't seen Mark around lately.)

Floppy? Oh yeah, I remember those. (unfortunately I also remember Windows 2.0 on my 286 with 4 MB of RAM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] )

Name:	MultiRunner.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	8328  

It looks like this is problem results from the interaction/dependance of Xara and the video driver. As you can see from the screen caps below, you can reduce the object to a very tiny size and still view it. (I would say 10pix is pretty small.) But it displays properly only if you are at the proper zoom level. The export engine is tied to this as well and it's zoom level is always 100%. This may be Matrox or it may be Xara. I am going to check Matrox for a new driver. If this fixes the problem, I will post back. (My apologies for making this thread so bw heavy with graphics.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Ric Heaton on August 19, 2001 at 07:59.]

Name:	ZoomErrors.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	5142  

Error also occurs on my machine at work. Matrox G-200 video.

Ric

If you provide us with the .xar file we will dismantle it and locate the problem.
    Sometimes if you have been playing with bevels in very strange ways you can get some z-order effects.

Mark Goodall
    Xara Ltd

Thanx, Mark.