Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

replace the true artistic skills. Sooner or later you will end in using of basic tools. (That means photoshop or whatever bitmap sofware with basic filters and brushes. Or Xara ;-)

Head in the clouds,
    But feet firmly on the ground!

Eric: me too I like to know who I am "talking" to and sometimes we all simply waste our precious time with "yes, but..." indecisions and poorly formulated questions.

Side remark: I work temporarily at a printers' (at an Heidelberg Speedmaster press, two towers), and the oh! so cherished Macs crash at least twice a week, blocking the Avantra for film making etc etc. Remark from the reseller: upgrade to OSX, and all your problems will be solved.

My idea: let's go back to typo and leaden fonts! O these good old days of lead-poisoning and texts so crisp no offset can even come near...
    Indeed: when Apple introduced the Mac in 1984 things would never be the same afterwards. O irony of fate! I get lyrical...

Idea:
    Every designer should work as a printer from time to time, and feel what it means to mix PMS inks, and wash the presses several times a day. It is a shame to see people coming straight from school with designs that are unprintable, and far above the budget of their clients, designing newbies that see themselves as genial, but that don't know the differences in colour hue of PMS inks on different papers, etc etc... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If you don't work against time, time often works for you.

Are we talking about my empty profile (like a lot of us have) or are we running away from the fact that I put my finger on a sore wound with my question?

The people who tried to put some effort into this problem, I thank them for that.

I found many tutorials, but none of them is detailed enough to show how some of the masters! like Alan Burns and Simone Pampado create their stuff. Sadly enough I'm stuck with tutorials that only focus on one small project.

Peter
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I just have this strong intuition that you are not whom you pretend to be, that's all.

And you do NOT show us the image YOU did in 10 seconds either, so who is talking about sore wounds?

As for these masters: ask them, and they will reply that it takes a lifetime of practise to attain a certain level, not some (sorry) basic tutorials. Tuts are written to make people try out some aspects of an app that they probably never used before.

Even if you are a good painter, you cannot acquire the technique and inspiration of, say, Salvador Dali by reading his "50 magical secrets" book on technique.

As far as I'm concerned: this thread has reached a dead end untill I see your 10 sec of fame, and proof that it is possible in indeed 10secs.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If Real-Draw's what you want, buy it. Personally, I couldn't see what it'd do for me so I just let my demo expire. Sure, it's full of superficially attractive effects (can any Real-Draw enthusiasts let us know how much practical use these are in the longer term?), but I'd take its creator's advice that it's no substitute for X and not start implying that we're hiding/running away from something.

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

... is giving me a headache...

Show us what you do and what you want to improve and I'm sure that the many clever people in this forum can give you some ideas.

If you want to create something "life like" in 10 seconds - how about a digital camera? If you are really quick with your USB port - it will be in your PC in 10 seconds)...

I agree with Eric, this thread is dead unless you show us your stuff.

I tried Real-Draw: "cool effects... but then what?"... not much. Try editing an objects with many nodes --- George Bush will become pregnant before you can make it look clean.

Just the support from the great people at Talkgraphics is worth the money of Xara X.

Risto

I'm going to end this thread, because if you all feel like being attacked, when I just want to ask you how the same effect can be achieved in Xara X, then most of you have a problem. The sample picture show you one part (object1) of the camera project. It was one drawing, two lights and one bevel. I admit that maybe I was a little too positive that it could be done in 10 sec, but believe me; any average Real-Draw user can achieve this result in less than a minute. If you all would take some time to see it yourself, instead of asking me to bring up a wonder project of myself, you would talk different. Some of you got annoyed, because you felt that I was bragging about my own capabilities, but it's not my fault that you can't read well, to see that I
    was just talking positive about the product and not myself. I've never put Xara X in a bad daylight and I never will, because it's really a good product with very strong points. It's a childish behaviour of some of you, who don't like to hear me talking positive about some strong points of another product, that BTW like Oscar says is focussed on a different kind of user.
    If I want to see how a real master is creating his designs, it's not because I think I will ever achieve the same results or even better. I really don't understand why some of you can't understand that for me it would be an interesting experience to see a great artist at work. How many times is it that we all struggle with some little designing (graphics, music, programming) and just would like to see a real pro at work, who gives you the inspiration to take the next step. Designing is all about inspiration. If the person that look or work with our designs our impressed, we have that extra push that can bring us to higher level. If some of you are not willing to understand that, you're missing out on one great aspect of designing.
    For those of you that still like to be inspired;

Happy designing,

Peter

Why you giving Peter such a hard time? I don't understand, I sent him to XaraX because I felt this software would be better for him than real-draw and I still believe in that. (We exchanged e-mails few times)
    Peter, it can ben done in xara I believe. I was using Xara 1.5 a 4-5 years ago and the trick is to use blends. This is the thing where you create the main shape of object with the base color (here gray) and then you create another small shape on top of it with bright color which creates highligt. Now use blend tool to blend these 2 objects with quite large amount of steps (50) or so. I believe you can chain these blends one after another.
    Now remember the both objects must be without borderline otherwise the blending wouldn't produce the effect.
    It can be done under 10 min. for sure.
    I am sure the blend is in xarax and maybe even improved from xara 1.5 I was using. This is how the pro's create the highlights and other shading effects in vectors. Actually you can do such thing one or some other way in all major vector programs like Adobe, Macromedia or Corel.
    Oscar

[This message was edited by Oscar on July 25, 2001 at 18:15.]

.... you are THE weakest link ... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Gooo Bye!

Risto

Nothing to do with feeling like being attacked, nothing to do with having a problem, nothing to do with feeling that you were bragging about your own capabilities, nothing to do with not being able to read well, nothing to do with being childish, nothing to do with not liking to hear you talk positive about the strong points of another product (so how many insults would you like to throw at the good people of this forum?)...

But everything to do with an unpleasant accusation about a non-existent sore wound!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>