Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Bug

I have been working with some of Gary's tutorials. I started out working on them in my trial version, but have since received my CD and uninstalled/installed. I've also installed the patch Xara.com sent a notice about. Now I'm finding that I can't insert values in the colour editor, the values keep reverting back to "100%". I have no option but to select a colour from the colour bar or by clicking on the colour map within the colour editor. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do about it?

I have been working with some of Gary's tutorials. I started out working on them in my trial version, but have since received my CD and uninstalled/installed. I've also installed the patch Xara.com sent a notice about. Now I'm finding that I can't insert values in the colour editor, the values keep reverting back to "100%". I have no option but to select a colour from the colour bar or by clicking on the colour map within the colour editor. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do about it?

BCDEB

I have experienced this when trying to specify less colors when exporting GIF files. But it does not happen all the time so it's hard to pin point the source of the problem.

Are you having this problem continuously or just occassionally?

I know that as my system resources get eaten up by one thing and another things can get kind of weird.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

I think I have figure out what the problem is, Gary. In your tutorials, you will suggest values for colours, eg. RGB = 204, 255, 255. With the trial version that worked. But with the CD and the patch, (I'm not sure if the patch had anything to do with it, since I installed it before returning to your tutorials), I find that the colour editor has RGB colour in percentages, and the maximum is, of course, 100%. So I can't use your suggested values any more - I don't know how to translate your values into percentages.

It doesn't look like a bug after all, but it makes it a bit of a pain to find the right colours for your tutorials - not that the tutorials are any less worthwhile. I sure do appreciate your work. You leave out a lot of mini-steps - things I think you are expecting people to understand already - but FMP, that is good. When I find that the next step in the tutorial doesn't work the way it worked for you I have to go back and figure out for myself what mini-steps I didn't take, and I do figure it out. That's the way to learn, FMP. Just as an example, you didn't mention that you have to group the netting circle and the underlying balloon circle before you can apply the mould shape in such a way that it actually changes the shape of the balloon. Things like that. I should have known, without having to be told.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions as to how to translate your colour values into percentages, that might help.

Thanks.

bcdeb,

under Utilities - Options - Units in Xara X you find the option to define color either in percent or in values from 0-255.

This should solve your problem

Wolfgang

Thank you Wolfgang! That's it!