Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I posted this to the Epson-inkjet list, but then it occured to me that you folks are even cooler. Bear in mind that a wicked fairy put a curse on me as a child: I lost the ability to manipulate abstract representations of space. Like inches and fractions thereof. Even metrics. (The good fairy gave me looks and regular bowels: no small thing for a fella my age). Quote:

I wonder if anyone can recommend an application that will accept a sizeable [bitmapped] image (16x20, say), do the math, and generate overlapping
    sections as separate files to print on 8.5x11 through my profiled system and PShop6. The shareware called *Poster* has been suggested to me, but Poster won't permit the user to capture the sections it creates as files and move them into another application. Pity; it's a great little app,otherwise.

Does Xara know anything about this sort of thing?
    O.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I posted this to the Epson-inkjet list, but then it occured to me that you folks are even cooler. Bear in mind that a wicked fairy put a curse on me as a child: I lost the ability to manipulate abstract representations of space. Like inches and fractions thereof. Even metrics. (The good fairy gave me looks and regular bowels: no small thing for a fella my age). Quote:

I wonder if anyone can recommend an application that will accept a sizeable [bitmapped] image (16x20, say), do the math, and generate overlapping
    sections as separate files to print on 8.5x11 through my profiled system and PShop6. The shareware called *Poster* has been suggested to me, but Poster won't permit the user to capture the sections it creates as files and move them into another application. Pity; it's a great little app,otherwise.

Does Xara know anything about this sort of thing?
    O.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

I think "Poster Shop" does what you wish. About $500 US (+/-). Other programs also. Talk to your service bureau.

We have been encouraging Xara Ltd to support large images for some time. Hopefully in the next release. WE WILL PAY $$$$ (Listening Xara ???)

Rgds,,,, Tad ....

...I often do!

Would it not be possible to use Poster to export page by page to .pdf as separate files? I'm not a professional so I don't know whether image quality could be high enough.

I too long to tile large pages in XaraX. Is nostalgia giving me a rosier recollection, or did most graphics programs support page tiling on the Acorn RiscOs machines?

... when I asked him this that the program wasn't designed to do anything beyond set up the size you want using Windows printing facilities. The app produces no separate files at all: you get the chance to specify how big you want the sheet to be at print time and Poster does the calculation on the fly, using as many sheets as needed. You can only save the original small size or the big enlarged size. But hey, he only asks $18 for Poster, and it's up to version 6!
    O.

You can make tiled pages is XaraX by using this work around. Open your 16x20 image in XaraX. You will need to make six files by slicing rectangles out of the original, four for the corners and two for the center section. Make a rectangle, say 8x10, and use it to cut out the sections (combine shapes/slice). Export each slice as it is made. You will need four copies of the 16x20. First pass will get two corners, second pass will get other two corners and the last two passes will get you the two slices needed for the center section. Just make sure you have at least an inch or more overlap on the slices.

Bring in the exported slices and print out on your 8.5 x11 paper. Paste together and trim. Tedious but it does work and will look good if you are several feet away. Close up you will be able to see the join lines.

Corel Draw can out put tiled pages but I don't believe it can produce separate files for each tile.

jjkohler

Cutting up a vector image sometimes produces unpredictable results on fine detail and overlapping objects. You could use Clip View or slice up a bitmap copy, but for just four or six pieces I wouldn't bother.

My technique would be to resize the drawing / bitmap (not the page size) to fit within however many printer pages I require (including an allowance for overlap) and then print out each section using 'Show Print Borders' as a guide (only what falls within the print border will be printed). To make life easy, align the first page manually then set the nudge distance to the drawing width divided by the number of horizontal / vertical divisions and nudge the drawing along for each page.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

Oyster can you give us the url
    for the poster program?

jpresley