Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help !

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

What's the 'standard' software in surface modeling on ANY operating system in the US and CDN?

Alias Studio Tools
    Maya
    Solid Works
    Pro E
    Ashlar Cobalt
    Catia
    Rhino
    Cinema

???

Might sound weird that I post this question, but I'm kind of desperate, because many clients tell me that Alias is required, others say Catia...

I can't purchase and learn all of them. In addition I think the result is what counts, not the way how I get there.

Or am I totally wrong? Is it required to 'pay for the ticket' by investing into this stuff?

Holy Lord, what a weird world is this.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

What's the 'standard' software in surface modeling on ANY operating system in the US and CDN?

Alias Studio Tools
    Maya
    Solid Works
    Pro E
    Ashlar Cobalt
    Catia
    Rhino
    Cinema

???

Might sound weird that I post this question, but I'm kind of desperate, because many clients tell me that Alias is required, others say Catia...

I can't purchase and learn all of them. In addition I think the result is what counts, not the way how I get there.

Or am I totally wrong? Is it required to 'pay for the ticket' by investing into this stuff?

Holy Lord, what a weird world is this.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

I don't think anyone could give you a specific name or number jens. That's just way too general a subject.

If it's to do with modeling though, my guess would be Rhino. Alias is actually a real good app. And that would be my second 'guess'.

thanks a lot for your input. I remember we had a thread here trying to guess which app has the broadest user base... But I can't get any information on real numbers because nobody is going to publish their user base.

I've checked Alias, it seems to be a great app, but it's kind of expensive and features a long learning curve. In addition it's said to be very hard to develop 'Class A' models with it - that means water tight objects...

The funny part is that in the user forum they talk about exporting the final data into solid works or pro e - which is kind of contradictive to the statements of the Alias site.

I guess there will be no final anser - it just depends on the software the client is using. Maybe I should cheat and tell them I'm using Alias - they won't see any difference at all. Last but not least people want to be cheated, right?

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Jens, this is a link that Danny Huff posted some time ago, it might answer your question.

http://www.3drender.com/jobs/jobcount.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Last but not least people want to be cheated, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> hahaha aaa hell ya far as i heard!?

thanks for the link.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Jens---

The link is good, bt does not say that Maya is a surface modeler while I think, but am not sure that the current version of 3DS is a SOLID modeler.

I'd ask about this.

Dummy,
    Gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

thanks a lot for the hint. Yes, it's cgi biz, but it shows very well that there is no real standard, or better saying the standard is changing from time to time.

3DS is nothing for me - steep learning curve. And I'm not sure if it offers 'class A' surface modeling like Rhino or Alias.

Solids aren't any problem for me with Rhino. It's just that I need some arguments to shoot back, after asking: why do you think only Alias (or AutoCAD etc) can do this job? Now I **know** I can continue with: there is no standard. I use my brain and my skills to develop results. Or do you care if I visit you by using A. my car B. a rented car C. the highspeed train D. an aircraft E. a hovercraft?

This will put a mirror in front of their faces ;-}

I'll continue with Rhino, Cinema and Xara, sticking to the statement I've seen on the link Mike submitted:

--------------------//--

Fully mastering one application, and demonstrating professional level skills, is a much higher priority than spending all of your time learning new packages

--------------------//--

This is the support I need for my ego.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Yep, Jens...nobody sees your app, but only the finished rendered TIFF, Jpeg, or whatever.

Good advice Mike pointed you to.

My Best,
    gare
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.