Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I had Xara X just disappear on me in a graphic. And I've figured out what causes it. Don't know if it just happens to me, but you can try and see if it happens to you.

My version of Xara X is 1.0d CD.

Open a new drawing, and create a 800x600 rectangle. Center it to the page. Create 2 quick shape stars and change the size of the feather reagion to 17pix to each star.

Have the stars overlap each other a bit (like in the attached photo.) Select the stars and the background shape and apply "Clip View."

Now select the zoom tool and zoom in to the area where the stars overlap. That's when Xara will crash. Usually on the first zoom attempt.

Don't know if this is a known thing, but it happens.

- Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xarax_-_640x480.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	11445  
    •Bob

I had Xara X just disappear on me in a graphic. And I've figured out what causes it. Don't know if it just happens to me, but you can try and see if it happens to you.

My version of Xara X is 1.0d CD.

Open a new drawing, and create a 800x600 rectangle. Center it to the page. Create 2 quick shape stars and change the size of the feather reagion to 17pix to each star.

Have the stars overlap each other a bit (like in the attached photo.) Select the stars and the background shape and apply "Clip View."

Now select the zoom tool and zoom in to the area where the stars overlap. That's when Xara will crash. Usually on the first zoom attempt.

Don't know if this is a known thing, but it happens.

- Bob.
    •Bob

Only when I really zoomed in did it "crash" - Xara just disappeared as if I closed the window!

Very odd!

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

Couldn't make Xara X (1.0d CD) crash even when I zoomed in 256001%. Tried to duplicate your sequence, but something must be different. I'm on Win 98SE, 384 MB.

http://home.attbi.com/~alkolka/alkolka.gif

Win98FE, 512mg RAM, NVIDIA TNT video card.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

I'm using XP Pro on a Dual Xeon/1Gb Ram/Nvidia Quadro4 card. Xara's (1.0d) very stable otherwise on this setup and I was rather surprised to see it exit this way.

The crash only occurs if feathering is applied, behaving flawlessly if the exercise is repeated without feathering.

Strange!

--
    Graeme
    Graeme

I just tried it on Win2K, 256MB Ram, Intel 810 video. XaraX just vanished when I released the mouse button after using the Zoom Tool. I'll have to try it on WinME when I get home.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Also disappeared using XP Home. No error notices in event viewer.

After getting home, I tried it again and no Crash. It appears to be related to the Win2000 kernal, which is also used in WinXP.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

That was the one thing that I noticed when I Xara would crash on me. It was ALWAYS when zooming, always!!

So it's a bug. I just got in the habit of zooming a little as possible. I have found that the Pentium IV (as apposed to the PIII I have here at work, which used to be my home computer) and the higher DDR RAM I very rarely have any issues.

Some systems, regardless of the processor or age seem to work just fine and others, like my old system, was just a mess trying to run XaraX in some areas like Zoom and brushes!!

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---

http://www.ramwolffsworld.com/
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---