Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have been unable to open a few XX files recently.
    Work on them today and all is well. Try to open them tomorrow and I get "A Read Error Occurred (unknown) with the file . . .

This is obviously annoying as it means re-doing all the work on that page.

I have attached such a file in the hope that someone can tell me what's wrong with it and if there's a way to open it or fix the problem.

Am using XaraX 1.0d CD May 18 2001

Have tried both from within XX and also from file manager. I can see the preview bitmap but not open the file.

I have scanned the file with an updated copy of NAV and it's virus-free.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
    Bill

Stuck in a tropical island paradise!

I have been unable to open a few XX files recently.
    Work on them today and all is well. Try to open them tomorrow and I get "A Read Error Occurred (unknown) with the file . . .

This is obviously annoying as it means re-doing all the work on that page.

I have attached such a file in the hope that someone can tell me what's wrong with it and if there's a way to open it or fix the problem.

Am using XaraX 1.0d CD May 18 2001

Have tried both from within XX and also from file manager. I can see the preview bitmap but not open the file.

I have scanned the file with an updated copy of NAV and it's virus-free.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks
    Bill

Bill,

There does not appear to be a file attached - but have you looked to see if there is a BAK file for these. If so rename it to XAR and try to open.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

Although Christine has asked a valid question it is not a default that backups are enabled. To do it you have to know how to do it using the registry - not something that everyone is happy to do. However, Sean Sedwards created a .zip file with a couple of .reg files in it that will allow you to enable and disable XaraX backups although I have no idea where they may be on this site at present. The good news is though that I have a copy myself and attach the .zip file to this message. Just unzip the file and double click on Xmakebak.reg and whenever you save a previously saved file, you should end up with a backup (.bak extension) in the same folder as the original file. However, that said, I'm not sure you'll get a safe backup if you're unable to save a safe file in the first place. Nevertheless, would still be worth doing anyway.

I think my first action would be to re-install XaraX in case something happened on installation that somehow causes corrupt saves. The other thing to consider if before this started happening after XaraX was saving OK, is whether you have recently installed any other software (inc upgrades) or hardware (with drivers). If so, it could be worth uninstalling and seeing what happens. Could be a conflict of some sort introduced by newly installed software/drivers.

Failing that I'm not really sure what I would try from here.

Tracey
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Christine & Tracey!

Definitely one of those day today.
    Just as the infopop server told me the file is too large to upload, our regional server went down, and it's only now 12 hours later that I can connect again.

Making backups is not an option for me as my file directories are already too large. If I backed up all my XX files I'd be out of drivespace in a week or 2!

Nope, haven't changed anything on my machine or had other problems, except for the odd power cut but that's pretty normal here and the UPS normally gives us time to shut down in an orderly fashion.

I've placed the file on one of my web servers where any code-minded individuals or techs from XXHQ can download it and hopefully tell me what's wrong with it.

It's 940 kb and virus free and can be found on
    http://www.kolanta.net/downloads/webpix2.xar

Many thanks to any who can shed light on this mystery.

Bill

Have you cleaned out you files recently? If you have not defraged you drive - some people never do, and your disk space is low, it could cause problems.

Turan

I get the same message you do.

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

.......... about what the problem actually is. I've accessed your web page Bill and I also get a message saying the file is corrupt. However, I'm not at all sure I've actually got the .xar plug-in for web browsers installed since I feel its not going to benefit me as the only ones who know about putting the Xar files on the web are those who know about Xara. If your problem is that you cannot open it in a browser, perhaps you haven't got the plug-in installed either. Thinking about it, I don't even know if it's distributed with Xara anymore - anyone else know what the situation is in this regard???

The question I would ask is: can you reopen it in XaraX if not it would be much better to upload it to the forum so that people have a better chance of assessing what is wrong and be in a better position to help. It couldn't be easier to post a message. Just compose your message and click on the the radio button at the bottom of the page to upload a file and once the message has been posted, you will be asked to select the file you want upload. I know the file is big(900+k) but it could be worth it (sorry Bill, I've just found it in my Temp Inet Files dir). Could still be worth uploading it to the forum though. Makes life a little easier for those trying to help. Will have a look and see what I can find but no promises whatsoever.

Tracey

Thanks Tracey, I tried but infopop limit uploads to 300 kb.
    Bill

......no joy I'm afraid. I got the same result as you get Bill - a read error. Seems its going to be down to a response from the folk at Xara now. Have you actually emailed them at all. Could be worth a try - send 'em the file as well so they can have a look.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Tracey

P.S. Didn't realise infopop limited the size of file to 300k. Thanks for the info.