Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bear with me as this is probably a really simple question that I just can't figure out.

How do you join a line segment to the middle of another line segment?

My picture is an outline that I will want to fill with a bitmap. I have drawn the outline with the freehand tool and I am trying to connect all the individual segments to end up with one shape. Will I be able to have lines across the shape or will they need to be seperate shapes right next to each other?

Thanks for any direction you can provide.
    Dale Fippinger
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Bear with me as this is probably a really simple question that I just can't figure out.

How do you join a line segment to the middle of another line segment?

My picture is an outline that I will want to fill with a bitmap. I have drawn the outline with the freehand tool and I am trying to connect all the individual segments to end up with one shape. Will I be able to have lines across the shape or will they need to be seperate shapes right next to each other?

Thanks for any direction you can provide.
    Dale Fippinger
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

To join two lines, see:

line,joining

in Help. You will have to join two lines, then add another etc.

You can't join one line to another in the midle though.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Dale

In order to fill a shape, it has to be a closed path. That is to say that the ending point has to be placed on top of the starting point.

If you have a open shape, let's say for example, a U-shape and you want to close it, select the U-shape, then select the Pen Tool, the Shape Editor Tool, or the Freehand and Brush Tool, click on one end, click a little beyond that, then drag the control point over the end point. The cursor will display a + to indicate the shape will be closed. The shape will then be filled in black.

Better than dig through the Help menu as Simon has suggested, visit Page 7 WebXealot 17 for a more detailed explanation.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Simon and Gary,

I appreciate your responses. I did find Webzealot #17 a lot more helpful than the help system. I have come to the conclusion that I will have to make seperate shapes kind of like a jigsaw puzzle in order to get the lines across my outlined picture. This little exercise is getting me quite familiar with the Shape Editor Tool.

Thanks,
    Dale Fipp....
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I'm not sure if I have understood exactly want you want to do but it may not be necessary to use separate filled shapes next to each other, see attached image for more info.

Sorry if I have misunderstood anything.

Su
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lines.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	6978  
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

... you can keep the broken line effect this way ... (See attached).

Su
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lines-Alt.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	13943  
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

... I remembered a mini tut in the Xara Tips and Tricks about filling unclosed vector shapes.

Amazingly it can be done. The tip is called 'Filling Unclosed Shapes' and is written by Ivan Louette'. (Sorry haven't figured out how to add a link to a post yet).

Thanks Ivan for the tip.

Su

Here it is web page

To post
    Copy url
    click bottom right URL (instant UBBCode)
    paste url
    Give a name when prompted or leave as is.