Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Error Message

I am trying to export in a gif format and am now getting an error message that says, "an unknown error occured while accessing an unnamed file." then a second one, "an error occured (file does not exist) when opening the file:". The export option then disappears from the pulldown menu. It seems to be affecting all of my xara files (years of work!) I hesitate to reload XARA X due to having a pretty extensive fill gallery. I have not knowingly made any changes or added any new software to my PC during this time. I lost some pretty extensive stuff on my last computer due to similar errors and never figured out why. It killed the back-ups too!

Many thanks,

Dave AKA Organ Donor
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC

I am trying to export in a gif format and am now getting an error message that says, "an unknown error occured while accessing an unnamed file." then a second one, "an error occured (file does not exist) when opening the file:". The export option then disappears from the pulldown menu. It seems to be affecting all of my xara files (years of work!) I hesitate to reload XARA X due to having a pretty extensive fill gallery. I have not knowingly made any changes or added any new software to my PC during this time. I lost some pretty extensive stuff on my last computer due to similar errors and never figured out why. It killed the back-ups too!

Many thanks,

Dave AKA Organ Donor
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC

I have found that you can export clipart gallery data from the Registry (use Regedit) and the same may work for fills; you can then re-install XaraX and reimport the registry settings.

Hope you fix this one...

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Simon,
    Will Rogers said, "All men are ignorant, only in different areas." It's my turn to display only a tad of my own! What and where is B]"Regedit"[/B]

I really appreciate your taking the time to give me some feedback.

Dave Cowles AKA Organ Donor

www.3DCaricatures.com
    Spartanburg, SC
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC

Start/Run/type in regedit and click OK, then go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Xara

Right click on that and choose "export" (I would name it something like XaraReg and save it to the desktop) and then do your re-installation of XaraX then double click on the saved file, it will ask you if you really want to add this information to the registry and click Yes and then you will get a confirmation and that should be that.

Hope that helps ya http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Richard http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I have reloaded Xara X four times. It appears every .xar file I opened is corrupt. Loads of fun. Any suggestions?

Dave

Dave Cowles AKA Organ Donor

www.3DCaricatures.com
    Spartanburg, SC
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>error message that says, "an unknown error occured while accessing an unnamed file." then a second one, "an error occured (file does not exist) when opening the file:". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This happens to me if I try to export to gif with an image map associated and try to export twice. If I delete my map file and export to another name I avoid the problem.

I now do my image maps in DreamWeaver!
    Tony
    Tony