Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xara lives!

I guess I can also reveal that, according to Kate, the release of XX2 is quite far away, alas. I have no date but I have a strong hunch that they are doing major work on it. I predict that XX2 is going to knock us all flat . . .

K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I was right when I said that Xara seem to have an amazing ability to be silent.

They are working, and working hard - it's just they forget to tell anyone about it, and therefore we all get worried that nothing is happening.

This is good news from Xara, but it shows that nothing ever changes.

Michael Ward
    http://www.metalandplastics.co.uk
    http://www.leighcenturions.net

...for Xara.

Software developers always have a tricky balance. They either announce lots of goodies, have marketing hyping things up, then hit problems and either get slated for delays or slated for bugs. OR they keep quiet, and get slated.

Enough slates to re-roof their mansion.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

They could hit a happy medium... release info, don't over-hype but let us know the facts about what is going on.

The silence coming from the lovely country home of Xara Ltd. is almost deafening somtimes.

Michael Ward

... to hear these things!

Klaus - you turned on the charm, eh? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I would hate to be around you when you are in a foul mood [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

As busy as the Xara team is, Kate still took time to elaborately answer a long, pathetic and whining email from me the other week. I doubt any other software company would have bothered...

The only thing I would like see different - give us "something" more in the monthly newsletters.

The new features of Xara 3D5 looks like a big step forward! (Thanks Gary for spilling the beans.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They could hit a happy medium... release info, don't over-hype but let us know the facts about what is going on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They don't like to do that because the other software companies that have the bigger bucks and greater resources can beat them to the punch.

Remember when Corel agreed to "promote and market" Xara. Their efforts lasted long enough for Corel's programmers to copy Xara's best features and incorporate the features into DRAW 7. At this point the promotion and marketing became virtually non-existent and Xara was pulled out of the channels (software company talk for taking Xara out of circulation). It's just lucky for Xara that Corel did not do near as good a job at implementing the Xara features.

Fortunately Arlen Bartch and Chris Dickman, founders of i-us.com (purchased by Getty Inc. then decomissioned) pushed hard to get a marketing agreement with Corel Corp. whereby they could sell Xara via the Internet. And then Corel did everything within their power to make sure the venture was not too successful.

The best step of all was when Xara managed to get out of their agreement with Corel Corp. and do their own promoting and marketing.

Sometimes quiet is better.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary W. Priester:

But you will not be disapppointed. Honest.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Gary, I'm looking forward to it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I'm not asking Xara to reveal features, but just to let us know how progress is getting on, and maybe to release a few more bug fixes for the current product.

I don't think that XX needs a complete number overhaul, a .1 would be enough.

Improve the current features, fix the bugs and make the export/import filters better. Than would make me more than happy!

I know they're only a small company, but they really could do better with their PR efforts.

Michael Ward

I also agree with Gary now. You know, I just always assumed that all the other "bigger fish" wouldn't look twice at Xara Ltd as any sort of threat because they ARE such a small company. So now that XaraX has made it's big splash I guess they very well may BE keeping an eye on things and if they are then Xara Ltd. IS RIGHT in how they are handling this. The bigger companies beat Xara Ltd to the newer ideas that XARA Ltd came up with !!! Then Xara Ltd just remains the little guy and the big guy takes all the prestege and profit, that would not be good!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

So it's all good then. WELL at least we have these other progs with the lengthy list of improvements, so I can't imagine all the cool stuff that's gonna be in the next release of Xara [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] That should be something else [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It's all good and I am relieved as long as we are sure they are well and fine and putting something out there.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

DO look at each other. For example, in the good old i/us days (this forum is also good!), we know that Jasc were keeping an eye on Xara because Mr Edwards told us he'd been lurking in the shadows (and he is probably still there). So, even from our point of view, wanting Xara to survive (well, I do), their keeping quiet may well be the best stategy. But it is exasperating (we've just had the same thing for NetObjectsFusion).

Just my 2p (and no surrender)

Jon
    Jon