Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have a school mascot bitmap that I want to copy into the guide layer. I want to redo the bitmap in Xara and use the current bitmap file as a guide to draw in the guide layer. I have loaded the file into the guide layer and only get a red square.
    I have converted it into an editable shape and get the same result.
    Can fellow Xaraians help me with this?
    Thank you,
    Jpresley

I have a school mascot bitmap that I want to copy into the guide layer. I want to redo the bitmap in Xara and use the current bitmap file as a guide to draw in the guide layer. I have loaded the file into the guide layer and only get a red square.
    I have converted it into an editable shape and get the same result.
    Can fellow Xaraians help me with this?
    Thank you,
    Jpresley

Put the bitmap in a foreground layer. Open the Layer gallery. Drag the layer with the bitmap into the background layer area of the gallery. I like to place it below the guide layer so I can put guides over the bitmap.

I also make the bitmap transparent - calmer on the eyes. Then I draw transparently over it so I can see what I'm doing.

Jessica

Thanks Jessica for your response. I see how I can add a layer to the background and then lighten it up for tracing. This will serve my purpose.
    What is the purpose and use of the guide layer by itself?

jpresley

1. Make sure to LOCK the layer the bitmap lays on so that you don't accidentally move it during the "tracing" process. Then create a new layer and do your tracing on that layer.

2. There are two options for the bitmap and its layer.

a.If you do NOT make the bitmap transparent, then make sure the bitmap layer is behind the tracing layer.

b.If you make the bitmap transparent, then give it a STAINED GLASS transparencey and place the bitamap layer in FRONT of the tracing layer. This will enable you to still view the bitmap as you do the tracing (where as 2.a. will tend to hide features of the bitmap as you trace).

I often turn the bitmap to grayscale (if there is enough contrast) and change my default outline color to red so I can easily distinguish the difference between the tracing lines and bitmap.

I used do tracing via method 2.a., but now find I almost always use method 2.b.

is great if you need accuracy. In Window> Bars, tick rulers. From the rulers you can drag out horizontal and vertical guides- useful if the bitmap you're tracing has horizontal and vertical straight lines. The Window menu has a snap to guides option so your drawing lines up perfectly to your guides.

Btw I use John's method 2a, setting my default line to transparent as I draw. That way I can see the bitmap, but I can also see where lines overlap. If you're going to convert lines to curves it is useful to make the joins clean.

I'll try to attach a picture to show what I mean.[img]null[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitmap_tracing.gif 
Views:	163 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	12197