Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Okay, I've had a good look and cannot find a solution to this - well not definitive anyway!

How can I get CMYK output from Xara to Photoshop whilst *maintaining* overprint?

I can print colour seps to postscript (and convert to PDF with Ghostscript) - can this be composited in Photoshop (Mac v7) to maintain overprint? I've had no joy. My Photoshop skills are limited to a need to know basis! This is the only way I can think of doing it - if it is indeed possible.

Every other thing I have tried loses the overprint.

Thanks in advance.
    Richard

business | graphitedesign.net
    portfolio | graphitedesign.co.uk
    personnal | richardcassidy.com
    design | graphitedesign.net
    photography | richardcassidy.com

Okay, I've had a good look and cannot find a solution to this - well not definitive anyway!

How can I get CMYK output from Xara to Photoshop whilst *maintaining* overprint?

I can print colour seps to postscript (and convert to PDF with Ghostscript) - can this be composited in Photoshop (Mac v7) to maintain overprint? I've had no joy. My Photoshop skills are limited to a need to know basis! This is the only way I can think of doing it - if it is indeed possible.

Every other thing I have tried loses the overprint.

Thanks in advance.
    Richard

What are you trying to overprint?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

...black text over photographs and some solid colour objects in Xara.

I know I can output the text (overprint parts) and put the whole thing together in Photoshop but it is really something I just do not want to get into if possible.

This just makes me want to use Illustrator/InDesign but they just don't cut it for pure intuitive design work compared to Xara.

I guess what I really want is colour separated TIF output. But I'm hoping one you gurus knows a solid workaround until the inevitable Xara XI (with its pro printing features) which can't be far away [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] C'mon Xara I'd pay double for something like that! In fact, I'd pay more but we shouldn't get into that!

Thanks,
    R

then you have overprinted your black, no?

If you are planning to output a TIFF file then overprinting is not something you need to worry about.

Overprinting is useful when outputting an EPS file. As is Print on all plates which creates a 4 color black of 100% CMYK.

But if you output your file as a high resolution TIFF and then change the mode to CMYK in Photoshop then there is not need to overprint.

What you might do in Photoshop is sample the text, at least the display text, and if the CMYK color is only 100% black with no CMY values, then add about 15% each to achieve a richer black.

The general rule of resolution thumb is LPI (printers Lines Per Inch) = DPI x 2. So if your printer is printing at 150 LPI you export your image at 300 DPI. If your printer is printing at 300 LPI then export at 600 DPI.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

to give trap from photoshop.... menu IMAGE/Trap
    work only for CMYK files

But if you need this file to be Exponated on Imagesetter the best way is to export everyting that need to be bitmap to Tif, open it in Photoshop, make it CMYK, color balance, levels etc...
    Vectors from Xara like text, export separately to EPS (Xara EPS) in same resolution like tif, and make page layout (combine 2 files) in some soft that you know how... Corel Draw, Free Hand, Illustrator.... there you must first import Tiff file, then EPS file (In CorelDraw with "EPS PS PRN Intrepreter") and there you can give overprint where you want on vectors

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

...sorry it took so long for me to reply - tight deadline!

Interestingly (and I am sure this has been covered before) EPS and TIFF output from Xara gets fairly different CMYK values when converted to Photoshop. And then of course there is the 'show printer colours' option to add to the mix. I really just want to be able to export in an editable format that keeps overprint and cmyk values intact but I guess this is not possible. I can live without overprint but it is preferable. I cannot find an (easy) way to recomposite CMYK seps printed to postscript.

Am I asking for too much?

Many thanks for the help again [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard