Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Portraiture

Been working through the tips and tricks offered by all here with respect to drawing and shading faces. Please have a look and offer up any comments or crits for improvements. Eyes and teeth are not completed.

Thanks

Arnold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face1.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	7995  

do you place colored backgrounds behind the image to see how the facial coloring works? I very rarely just use white---especially when there are distinct shadows involved as these will have some colors added to them from the background/cast onto to them. It helps to keep all the tones balanced with each other. It looks like there are strong shadows on the face, so I wonder about the lighting and other colors which would be related to that/background shading. I'd soften the highlight right end more as it sort of comes to a point on the cheek giving a cone-like shape effect. Use of more colors in the skin---this avoids a flat colored effect if you want. Since you're still working on the eyes and teeth I'll stop there. It's coming along really well! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=8541949815
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Try to avoid either. Use a very pale color instead of white and a very deep color instead of black. It will make your colors richer.

Good start.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Hi Arnold,

It looking good so far. The only thing I can add to what Maya and Gary have already stated; is to add something to indicate the transition from the cheek to the upper lip. The attachment will show you what I'm trying to convey in words.

Soquili
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arnold_fossman_port.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	3993  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Nice to watch these face studies. I didn't have enough time to try it out myself, but I'm pretty sure that that will change any time soon, although I don't know if I'm going to do it in Xara or a paint program.
    But these threads are very interesting all together.