Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I think this almost looks photographic,but I couldnt get enough detail into the leaves and plants for my liking.

Can someone tell me if cranking up the amount of rays for raytracing will give me better image quality in the end render,or is it just a memory hog and the difference would be negligible compared with the default raytracing settings themselves?

Cheers.

Stu. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fire_flies.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	17457  

I think this almost looks photographic,but I couldnt get enough detail into the leaves and plants for my liking.

Can someone tell me if cranking up the amount of rays for raytracing will give me better image quality in the end render,or is it just a memory hog and the difference would be negligible compared with the default raytracing settings themselves?

Cheers.

Stu. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu,

Another nice image. Sorry can'nt help with the increasing the number of Ray's question.

--Randy

Looks good Stu. I like the look you gave the plants. It has a nice style to it. Number of rays, are you referring to the Ray Recursion limit? That determines how many times it will 'bounce' the ray off of reflected and refracted surfaces before 'giving up'. It more determines the accuracy of the rays rather than the quality. But different packages offer different settings that control various aspects of the ray tracing. You may be referring to something else...

Thanks guys.

Earl in Cinema in the render settings under raytrace I have the ability to set the amount of rays for the shadow depth reflection depth etc,and I ws wondering if I increased these if I would get a better image,sorry I am too 3d illiterate to explain it any better [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] For instance I found out yesterday I can cut holes in objects using Booleans,now if I can just get that to stay in my memory I will be happy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Anyone interested in a second hand memory with more holes than a Swiss cheese?,it comes with a set of steak knives [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Lol Stu...At least you don't have to worry about over-heating with that much venilation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ray Depth is a term specific to Cinema 4D. It describes the ray recursion limit for transparencies only. A value of 1 means that it sends out only one ray per pixel, and thus does NOT calculate alpha channels or transparencies. A value of 2 means that when the first ray hits a surface, it will send out a second ray to determine that surface's transpareny. However, if there is a surface behind that surface, it will stop there. If a surface is semi-transparent (or completely transparent) but you have run out of rays, then the program will render that surface black. The lower you set the Ray Depth, the fewer transparent surfaces will be seen through (any others will turn black). Do you have a lot of transparent (or semi) surfaces in your scene? It doesn't look like it... I don't think increasing this number will result in higher quality. The only time you would want to increase this number is if you noticed weird BLACK areas in your scene that shouldn't be there, or if you are unable to see through a particular object.

By the way, what is the default setting? What is it set to now?

Thanks Earl.

I think its set at 6 and I think refraction and shadow depth are around 4 each.

Have you seen the FF movie yet Earl,or am I still a bit early on that score.

There is some art on this site that is as good as Rene Morels and there is a truckload of it too.

http://www.raph.com/3dartists/artgallery/ag-ii3.html

Stu [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Still a little early on that one Stu. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] It comes out July 11th. I did see an extended preview of it, and the more I see the more I'm impressived with the animation. I'm *REALLY* looking forward to it. I couldn't stress that enough. =)

As far as those settings go. Six should be quite adequate for your Ray Depth, and four should also be fine for Shadow Depth and Reflection Depth. Unless you're doing a scene with a lot of detailed mirror surfaces, those defaults will work without a loss in quality.

Thanks Earl [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.