Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm beginning to tear my hair out here! What I thought was a really cool feature when I first heard of it, has got me completely confused!

Is it possible to create new stroke shapes/ pressure profiles in XaraX?

Are these profiles supposed to work with pressure-sensitive graphics tablets? It looks as if brushes either have pressure sensitivity if the parallel line (constant) is selected, or the preset profile if that's selected- but not both.

Finally, is the following a bug? I am talking about the pencil tool (normal line), not about using brushes here:

After I use a profile and reset the default to a simple line ("constant"), the tool often keeps reverting to the last profile each time I draw a new line, even though I keep changing it back. Only shift-ctrl-A works- but sometimes that will crash the program! (access violation)

Also suppose I select all the lines and remove the profile, replacing it with a simple 1 point line. So in theory at this point I have a parallel line round my object. If I give the object a line width of none, then later apply a 1 point line width, the profile will reappear even if my default is the "constant" profile.

Sorry I am trying so hard to be clear that I'm even boring myself- and I still don't think it's very clear. Any info about profiles- or pointers to other threads- would be really welcome!

Jessica

I'm beginning to tear my hair out here! What I thought was a really cool feature when I first heard of it, has got me completely confused!

Is it possible to create new stroke shapes/ pressure profiles in XaraX?

Are these profiles supposed to work with pressure-sensitive graphics tablets? It looks as if brushes either have pressure sensitivity if the parallel line (constant) is selected, or the preset profile if that's selected- but not both.

Finally, is the following a bug? I am talking about the pencil tool (normal line), not about using brushes here:

After I use a profile and reset the default to a simple line ("constant"), the tool often keeps reverting to the last profile each time I draw a new line, even though I keep changing it back. Only shift-ctrl-A works- but sometimes that will crash the program! (access violation)

Also suppose I select all the lines and remove the profile, replacing it with a simple 1 point line. So in theory at this point I have a parallel line round my object. If I give the object a line width of none, then later apply a 1 point line width, the profile will reappear even if my default is the "constant" profile.

Sorry I am trying so hard to be clear that I'm even boring myself- and I still don't think it's very clear. Any info about profiles- or pointers to other threads- would be really welcome!

Jessica

make brush based on black filled circle and set pressure sensitivity to maximum (max size would be the size of brush.. so make the circle small) Experiment with that until satisfied.

Roman

I don't think it's possible to customize your own stroke shapes and pressure profiles. These are meant to be used when you don't have a tablet, thus allowing you to make different shaped strokes with your mouse. When changing profiles, make sure nothing is selected in your document before you select a new profile, otherwise it will revert back to the previous profile.

Hello Jessica

I spead read though your post so forgive me if this is not the solution.

If you are frustrated because some aspects of a custom brush stroke do not save when you press Save, try this:

Create the stroke shape you want. Make all the edits you want.

Then copy the stroke shape. (Ctrl C). Now select the path or shape to which you wish to apply the stroke and Paste Attributes (Arrange menu or Shift Ctrl A)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

There are several good ideas to try here. Thank you. I especially like Roman's idea- obvious... but I hadn't thought of it! Using ovals you could probably create calligraphic brushes as in Illustrator.

Jessica