Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi Michelle-

I strongly recommend Adobe Dimensions 3 for starting your modeling adventures. It's only $149 and will output as vector or as bitmap. I'm attaching a sample here.

The next step up, at least bucks-wise, I'd have to say trueSpace 5, $900 I think, but it's got all the heavy-end features:animation, Non-Uniform B-Splines (NURBs), Particles. Metaballs, and an interface that will drive you to drink the first day you try it.

Then it gets better <g>.

Glad you liked the book. It's not selling so well, but hey, it's summer, and a lot of classrooms use my work. Ah, well...

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fegexx.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	8849  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Just a side note here. Truespace is now selling for $299.00 for Version 5.1.

I've only really tinkered in 3D so far, and have always had an excuse not to 'take the plunge'. (Not enough time, money, or machine to make the transition.) Now I've run out of excuses! My oldest daughter just turned 12 and is an aspiring animator. I've got to try and stay ahead of the curve so I can teach her. Hopefully she'll be able to break into the business through an internship in a few years. As for the time, there's never enough, but who needs sleep? And the machine, well, I'm currently building two new workstations that I'd only dreamed about before now. The time seems right, so wish me luck!

-Michelle