Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Here is an interface i am doing for a software site (that is not there real name). Please. they wanted it along these lines. any ideas ? not much i can do with it..........After all i am a newbie.

your help is welcome

Ross A. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Yesterday will always be two days before tomorrow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interface2.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	17660  
    Well, I know that i won't...

Here is an interface i am doing for a software site (that is not there real name). Please. they wanted it along these lines. any ideas ? not much i can do with it..........After all i am a newbie.

your help is welcome

Ross A. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Ross

I know you're new to all of this and I'd like to be more encouraging, but I can't help thinking that you've got this whole website business inside out. Websites don't start with 'interfaces' (as you put it) but with content, which you can choose to present in as matter-of-fact or as eye-catching a manner as you like (so long as you keep thinking about file sizes). But great slabs of graphics in fixed layouts are probably not the way to go and, while I've no doubt that you're having fun and learning from the experience, I'd like to suggest as kindly as possible that you're probably out of your depth at the moment in trying to design real sites for other people. To state (as you do) 'Please. they wanted it along these lines.' suggests to me that you might be expecting criticism of the kind I'm offering, so perhaps you'll think about what I've said. It's supposed to be helpful, honestly! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

This interface is for my friends freeware website.

Ross A.

So it's for a friend's site, is it? In which case good design and practicality don't come into it? Think, Ross, and &#8211 if you're happy with your answers to all of the following questions (I could think of more) &#8211 I promise never to try and help you again!

1. Does your 'interface' have an 875x991 pixel fixed size or can it reshape itself to suit users' needs?
    2. What goes in the #586da6 coloured box (is all of the content forced into a third of the screen area?), and is that thick #007fff border with the rounded corners used for anything useful?
    3. Are the boxes formed purely as part of the graphic or have you thought about tables and/or CSS?
    4. What happens if you subsequently find you need space for more than five buttons down the left-hand side?
    5. Does the curved top edge for the heading do anything apart from force any useful content further down the screen?
    6. Does it say anything to you about 'Bock' software and would it encourage you to stop and take a look?

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

Ross,
    Your interface comes up too large. The imagine dwarfs the buttons which should be more significant. They are what the surfer will use.
    The site doesn't really tell me anything. I wouldn't stop long.

A site should gains one's attention - but pleasingly not shockingly. The site should support the content. From the first, the viewer should get a sense of the site, the buttons and where to go for information.

At present, you seem mainly interested in creating futuristic and dramatic sites without keeping the viewer and the content in mind.

Keep at it, but either your friends are expecting a lot of you or your trying to do too much too fast.

Nei