Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tulip & Friend

Hybrid View

Not sure yet if this is "ready for prime time". Any helping criticisms? Any yelping witicisms?

I used the Guiness Stout molecule bitmap for the sky. I love Guiness. The beer that drinks like a meal... [the molecule image is copyrighted by Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University and is used with permission - moderator edit].

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on August 02, 2001 at 13:17.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small_tulip2.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	177.4 KB 
ID:	3003  
    ~Dave!~

I admit that I am not the best example of restraint, but Peter, I believe you are out of line.

This conference is for sharing examples of images created in Xara, of all levels of experience talent, and for getting help as well as feedback and support from the other members of the community.

No, you are not obligated to show us examples of your creative talents. But at the same time, making snide remarks about other people's images is rude and uncalled for.

Since you brought up the subject of freedom, does Borlip not have the artistic freedom to show his light-hearted and delightful rendition of tulips? Of course he does. And of course you have the freedom to make rude remarks. It is just that rude and snide remarks are not going to help anyone improve their talent (which is one of the things we try to do in this conference) but rather might cause someone to be embarrassed and not post any more images (which is what we try NOT to do in this conference).

Peter, and everybody else, let's make an effort to get along and show a little maturity and respect for one another. OK?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

be rib hem evolutes

Positive criticism works better. People and especially creative people aren't interested in insensitive and so-called funny comments. They are very picky about that. Only people who are in the same level of experience (other creative people) are allowed to make "a little bit" more funnier comments, but as they know how much does it hurts when someone picks on them, they usually don't try to be funny as they know It could return to them like a boomerang. Therefore they either don't say comments if they aren't attracted by the art, or they try to point out the positive things if they are forced to reveal their opinion. They are also try to be helpful if they think they understand what author wanted to say (which usually is not the case) as they have some experience and they know what they are talking about. If they are impressed they usually use a lot of intelectual and hardly understandable sentences (to the general population) to tshow their appreciation. All in all they are trying to be positive and it works. (mostly)

Roman

but it helps me, sometimes ;-)

You're right when you say that the shadow angle is on purpose. I know that it conflicts with the sun's location, but I just kinda liked it. Does it detract from the image?

Only one is a tulip, and these kind of flowers only grow in the mud in my brain.

I think I need to think about composition. Things aren't where they should be somehow...

~Dave~
    ~Dave!~

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Peter P. - Where are your images? Put up or shut up. Some of us went out of our way to try to make you feel welcome. You now seem intent on proving you are a looser.

Ross

I think I'm getting it. I added a little more texture and a couple of accents. I'm afraid to do anything else. Any suggestions?

[the molecule image is copyrighted by Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University and is used with permission - moderator edit].

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on August 02, 2001 at 13:19.]

Name:	2_tulips2.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	253.1 KB 
ID:	11753  
    ~Dave!~

Borlip, please don't stop working on those tulips. It has potential. And when it's finished it's worth to be displayed in Gallery forum. Maybe you could start another thread there after some enhancements. I would like to hear your opinion on my shading. Is it useful or is it too shiny and superrealistic?.

And so I took a close-up. Also, more of the other flowers grew, but they shrank...Hmmm...

[the molecule background image is copyrighted by Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University and is used with permission - moderator edit].

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on August 02, 2001 at 13:18.]

Name:	2_tulips.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	13608  
    ~Dave!~

Borlip has placed mirrors on the back of each flower which is making the shadows fall in the opposite direction. :-)

I'm sure I would recognize the sky as beer though.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

me be hub televisor