Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hey everyone, it has been a while since i've posted anything, but as always i have come cryin and crawing back for assistance off you wise ones...

Here is my situation, i need to be able to create a realistic reflector, everything else is okay, (maybe i need to rough up the tyre?) but primarily the reflector is in need? any help would be sweet!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	talkgraphics.gif 
Views:	495 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	7040  

Hey everyone, it has been a while since i've posted anything, but as always i have come cryin and crawing back for assistance off you wise ones...

Here is my situation, i need to be able to create a realistic reflector, everything else is okay, (maybe i need to rough up the tyre?) but primarily the reflector is in need? any help would be sweet!

Hello Dan

If you are referring the the horizon line refelection on the fender, the distinction between the light and dark should be sharp and well defined. Because the surface is very shiny the reflections will be sharp and hard-edged. If the surface were dull, the reflections would be softer and more diffused.

Basic rule of reflections is the darks are never as dark as what is being reflected and the lights are never as light.

Looks like you have a prettly incredible rendering going here. Is this the whole image or just a detail?

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

It appears to me that the reflector is molded plastic surface in which its surface is a series of "dipples". The facet of each dipple is diamond shaped.

What about this. Create a square, rotate it 45° to make a diamond shape, and skew it if necessary. You may also want to give the diamond a slight transparency and/or blurred edge.

Then either create a brush from the diamond shape or blend the diamond along a series of paths (curves).

Used some contrast transparencies to brighten things up. Don't have a lot time right now

Steve Newport

-My Gallery-

-Featured Artist 2002-

Name:	ref.jpg 
Views:	450 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	4716  
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Here's my take on what you are looking for. Seems the reflector needs some shading. So here is how I would creat something like that. After it's created then just apply transparency to it in any way you want for more effect.

Hope this helps you, it certainly taught me a little more about this wonderful program. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PS: I can send you an updated file that has some of the effects added to the grid. It's too large to post here (actually it's with the limits of the 300Kb but it's still larger than 100Kb and I don't think that's fair to those that have bandwidth issues. So if you want it then let me know! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---

[This message was edited by RAMWolff on September 26, 2002 at 15:20.]

Name:	Creating_a_transparent_grid.gif 
Views:	409 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	12106  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

You beat me to it !!!! SNAP.
    Egg

Name:	!reflector_tut.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	2683  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

My horoscope said that I would be "on" creatively today, and even though it was a tutorial my mind was pretty good at figureing it all out with out too many high walls to jump over. I had fun, hell, I had one of the busiest days, I think, to date and I still managed to do this too!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Richard [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

---Wolff On The Prowl---
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Nice little tutorials guys [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, thats fantastic guys! i'll post the finished result in a few days... Egg, and Ramwolff you guys are crazy! Party on, school holidays! (For me anyway!)