Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Say it ain't so

This is probably a north America phenonemon, but I cannot enjoy a football game on TV without being subjected to a series of Apple commercials in which squeaky clean actors are portraying disgruntled Windows IS persons who have switched to the Macintosh. While I do not disagree that the Mac is a pretty cool computer, I don't agree with statements such as "My PC wasn't Plug-n-Play. It was Plug-n-Get-Mad."

Give me a break!

If you read Macword Magazine, you'll see one complaint after another about crashing Macs.

If you feel this is a misrepresentation Click Here to go to the Apple.com/switch.feedback page to let them know what real Windows users think.

If you believe the ad campaign, you'd think we all key in commands at the C:/ prompt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

This is probably a north America phenonemon, but I cannot enjoy a football game on TV without being subjected to a series of Apple commercials in which squeaky clean actors are portraying disgruntled Windows IS persons who have switched to the Macintosh. While I do not disagree that the Mac is a pretty cool computer, I don't agree with statements such as "My PC wasn't Plug-n-Play. It was Plug-n-Get-Mad."

Give me a break!

If you read Macword Magazine, you'll see one complaint after another about crashing Macs.

If you feel this is a misrepresentation Click Here to go to the Apple.com/switch.feedback page to let them know what real Windows users think.

If you believe the ad campaign, you'd think we all key in commands at the C:/ prompt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

This thread stinks of a "my PC's better than your Mac" argument. Fortunately we don't have the same ads here. I'm sure Steve Job's and Bill Gates can get along famously without my input, in fact Steve Job's would probably welcome it as proof his adverts are hitting home.
    I'm pleased to see Apple still in business and would hate to see 100% domination by Windows. All OS's have there failings tho I've never found PLUG and PLAY to be wanting, whilst my brother on the other hand can't run half his old Mac software on his new Mac.
    But I think I'll leave it to the corprate lawyers to sort this one out.
    Egg
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

In aerospace we had both OS machines available. The secretaries demanded the Mac's cuz' they are cute. But the work was done on PC's and mainframes. Apple cut their own throats with proprietary SW architecture. They could have had it all.

Wayne D

I've never really used a Mac. PC's don't have crash-proof money-back guarantees, but as far as I know, Mac's don't either. So anybody can say whatever they want about "this-being-more-stable-than-that", there's no way to ever reasonably compare, except source code, and neither MS or Apple is ever likely to release that. OS X's main selling point is that they kinda-sorta copied off Linux. Didn't just use Linux, but copied off it. ---Ummmm, okay. And that's a good thing?
    -And Macs cost too much. For any Mac, you can get a new PC with nearly the same technical specs for less money. And you can get lower-spec PC's for a heck of a lot less: Wal-Mart now sells new generic PC's for $500. Where is the $500 Mac? Oh, that's right! There isn't one!

In my mind, Macs and PC are a commercial "duopole", which could be in fact an hidden commercial monopole.

There are too much technology convergences and commercial complementarities between them these years (and Adobe seems to participate actively to that).

These comparative advertisements are only brain manipulation.

ivan

MACINTOSH - Most Applications Crash, If Not, The Operating System Hangs :=8P

But in general, from the few hours of TV I've watched in the last month, there is quite a bit more competition bashing from cleaning products to computers.

I thought product bashing was considered inappropriate and actually illegal in some cases... I dunno. I don't follow advertising standards or law.

--Lothaekor

...but I'm going home to my 1.6GHz Athlon with my GEForce 4 that I use to play my first-run games.

All Your Graphic Are Belong To Us
    All Your Graphic Are Belong To Us

It is about the way people interpret things: is Mac better than PC? PC with what? PC with Windows? PC with Linux? PC with BeOS? PC without OS? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It is the same than "I'm better than you, I drink coke, you drink coffee" Of course, coke have caffeine as well as coffee but it looks better in a red can [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Irony is the same on all the comparations: Mac sux, "WinPCs" sux or Mac are good, WinPCs are good too... they both crack, hang, freeze, burn! I worked with the two of these. In fact I got one of each in my studio: the same madness for each one, the same "jeez! let me reset it... again!"

It is like also IE vs NS --lately we experimented that in fact NS sucks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img], but that's not the point-- People hate MS because they are a monopoly, loved NS because it was lower profiled... what if NS wins the browser war, wouldn't the bosses be in the same financial $tate of Bill Gatez?

My 2 cents worth.
    I have never used a Mac so I can not say how the OS is. I have heard that it is more like a unix based OS. It is good to have some competition for Microsoft. BUt I really do not think that Micorsoft is concerned by these ads. You will notice that Microsoft does not need to advertise their products on TV. The Apple market is way behind and that is why they need to make such advertiesments. And of course any person would appear on their commercials for money. I am not impresed by their advertising campaign and it cetainly does not compel me to switch to an Apple Computer. It would be great if more software companies such as Xara would write their applications for the Apple Os, Because competition is good and this will help to make things better for us consumers.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire