Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Greetings,
    Anyone out there using ICC profiles ?? I guess in Xara they shouldn't matter, but we do sometimes use bitmaps.

And, say Gary ... Is your review of InDesign (for Communication Arts) posted anywhere ?

I'm still trying to figure out why, with Xara, one needs a "page layout" program. Maybe it is a typography thing .?.

Regards,
    tad

Greetings,
    Anyone out there using ICC profiles ?? I guess in Xara they shouldn't matter, but we do sometimes use bitmaps.

And, say Gary ... Is your review of InDesign (for Communication Arts) posted anywhere ?

I'm still trying to figure out why, with Xara, one needs a "page layout" program. Maybe it is a typography thing .?.

Regards,
    tad

uses a similar color matching system as ColorSync on the Mac and as such what I see on my screen represents prety closely what I see in CMYK printing.

It creates its own ICC (International Color Consortium) profiles.

Xara really does not give you the option of selecting a color profile when you import or export images.

The InDesign review is only available in the magazine I belive. You could check CommArts.com but I am pretty sure they do not make a lot of their content available.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone

Tad: "I'm still trying to figure out why, with Xara, one needs a "page layout" program. Maybe it is a typography thing .?."

Tad, it's a "typography thing" indeed!!! XaraX has only puny, rudimentary, crude typographics controls compared to InDesign. InDesign enables you to produce great and subtle typesetting - especially if you spring for some OpenType fonts, with tons of fine ligatures, true small caps, etc. I truly cannot live without InDesign for typesetting - just as I cannot live without XX for vector illustration.

I can't believe that you have a 5,000 dollar printer, and still do your "typesetting" in XaraX - grow up, man! :-)

Download the trial of inDesign 2 from www.adobe.com and see for yourself - that's my best advice.

K
    www.graphics.com (columnist)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

(pressroom wisdom)

Klaus, your candor has always been one of the delights of this forum. I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it. But, man, I'm not MADE of money. That InDesign costs several HUNDRED dollars, and I'm low on ink, and yada, yada, yada...

But seriously folks, ... I dug up the May/June 2001 issue of Communication Arts and read Gary's review of InDesign 1.5. What a glowing review. Must be a fine program. I never even got near Quark, because I know people who make their living fixing Quark screw-ups.

And maybe I SHOULD upgrade. Currently, I am doing typesetting using Corel4 on a 486 DX-4 with Windows For Workgroups 3.1 and .wfn fonts. But, old habits are hard to change

Regards ,,,,,, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    tad

"Currently, I am doing typesetting using Corel4 on a 486 DX-4 with Windows For Workgroups 3.1 and .wfn fonts."

ROTFL! Snikker, snikker, snikker!!!

K
    www.graphics.com (columnist)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/
    www.klausnordby.com/xara
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Klaus

Tad is a fine artist, a sculptor and print maker if I remember correctly and as such does not need Adobe InDesign. For his modest typographical needs Xara is fine.

If anyone is serious about desktop design and publishing, then by all means, Adobe InDesign blows Quark out of the water and into a fine tainted mist. I receided a PR release from Adobe recently saying that 200 of the major design schools in the US are switching to InDesign as their primary publishing software. My response is what took them so long?

But it has to be the right tool for the job.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

The Xara Xone