Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Disaster du jour:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, upgrade your Mac AdobePS to the new version 8.7.2. It is EXTREMELY dangerous. Those clever guys over there in Marin County decided that it was time to try and bring the Mac up to equivalency with Windows regarding being able to simply select Distiller as a printer and they thoroughly flocked it up. From the first time you use it, Distiller will become your ONLY printer, no matter what you do in Chooser or anywhere else. Eradicating the many tentacles of this particular piece of madness requires delving more deeply into the bowels of your System folder than any sane person should dare to venture. BEWARE!
    IP

Disaster du jour:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, upgrade your Mac AdobePS to the new version 8.7.2. It is EXTREMELY dangerous. Those clever guys over there in Marin County decided that it was time to try and bring the Mac up to equivalency with Windows regarding being able to simply select Distiller as a printer and they thoroughly flocked it up. From the first time you use it, Distiller will become your ONLY printer, no matter what you do in Chooser or anywhere else. Eradicating the many tentacles of this particular piece of madness requires delving more deeply into the bowels of your System folder than any sane person should dare to venture. BEWARE!
    IP

As an update on this issue, here's what I've learned about the cause: When the problem first came up, I contacted Adobe technical support and they advised me to download and install AdobePS 8.7.2, which I did. However, I later learned (with the help of a rent-a-nerd) that 8.7.2 had already been installed by PageMaker 7.

Therefore I want to extend my warning that if you install PageMaker 7 on a Mac, you will then want to seek out and destroy the AdobePS 8.7.2 that thus is automatically installed and replace it with a downloaded version of 8.7.1
    IP